top_image

<  Design concepts  ~  Dragon MMORPG and the concept of exploring

Ymedron
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Part #1: Dragon MMORPG
I copy my journal from Deviantart here... ;D
"I've searched the Internet for a MMORPG in which you could play as a dragon. I found only Horizons, and then read that it wasn't a good company because it attempts to cheat your money. I've planned a game in which you could play as a dragon, actually 6 different species.

1. White dragon, would be noble, fully scaled, agile but has more muscle than blue or green. Jobs: warrior, healer, diviner (kind of like the paladin in WoW, able to buff and tank) Breath: Ice
2. Black dragon, which would be more sly and rogue-like. Jobs: Rogue, shaman, (summoning magic) magician. (the basic elemental) Breath: Corruption
3. Red dragon, the biggest and strongest of them all. Jobs: Warrior, magician, diviner. Breath: Fire
4. Green dragon, agile and lightweight. Attunes with nature well. Jobs: Tamer, shaman, rogue Breath: Acid smoke
5. Blue dragon, only one able to breathe underwater. They can't however fly
without magical help. They are slick and fast. Jobs: warrior, healer, shaman Breath: A vicious bite instead
6. Celestial dragon. Looks a little like eastern dragon, except without whiskers and has smooth skin or even fur. They would be able to fly a little right from the beginning of the game. Jobs: Diviner, Healer, Magician. Breath: Thunder

Flying: At a certain level the dragons could fly. The flight hovewer doesn't last endlessly. At the lowest possible level you couldn't rise higher, so that you still have to walk a lot. Flying makes traveling faster, however. When you gain levels, you will have easier time flying. You however have to stop once a while. When your flight-powers are drained you will glide to the ground.
In the air there would be a new land to explore and do quests. It would hopefully have lots of quests like in WoW.

The level cap would be at 100.
The life of a character:

-Creation, lvl 1.
Decide your character's race, wings, colors, build, snout, horns, and patterns.
Color choices:
Black dragon: Anything from charcoal to dark blue and purple.
White dragon: From diamond-scaled to light gray to shimmering gold.
Red dragon: From dark reddish purple to light orange.
Blue dragon: From dark turquoise to dark blue to light turquoise to light blue.
Green dragon: Almost black with light green patterns to leaf-green with yellow patterns.
Celestial dragon: Browns, yellows and creams.
White dragons would have straight horns, black dragons arching, red dragons would have ram-horns, blue dragons photophores (a rod with a light-emitting bulb) and celestial dragons would have antlers.
Wings: Several different ones: Long wings for long glides and easier lift, short wings for sharper turns. Green and white dragons would have a choice of special wings: fairy-wings for greens and feathered wings for whites. These wouldn't affect anything except the look of the dragon.
Builds: To customize the player's experience, there would also be different builds. Heavy, regular, light, small and big. Regular is the base for them all, and has the normal stats for that species. Heavy build would decrease agility and speed, but increase defence and strenght. Light is the opposite of heavy.
All of these builds can be mixed with either large size or small size. The difference between these two is that the small has more agility, less strenght and gains more intelligence. Big size has more strenght, less agility, and gains more defence.

-Human form, lvl 10
You can get a quest, to obtain one of the most important skills a dragon would ever have: transformation into a human. Now, why would this be important? I'll explain it soon. ;3
After some fetching quests you will go to the leader of your species. He tells you to go kill a certain monster.
After you kill the monster and report back to the leader, you will obtain the skill, and a window will open up. In this window you will determine how your human-form would look. The hair-color is limited to your dragon's species' pelt colors. Eye-color however isn't limited. The human form wouldn't show any draconic traits (no wings, tail or horns, maybe sharp claws and teeth but that's all) because otherwise humans would recognize you.

-Flight, 30-50 lvl
You can fly. Maybe there would be a flying-level which gains exp as you fly... It would make flying faster, easier to turn and in the end also lenghtening the time you can fly.

-Ancient 70 lvl
At this level you can get a long, pretty hard quest. As a reward, though, your character becomes an Ancient Dragon, gaining more size and power than any dragon who isn't Ancient. This will probably become mandatory for any player...

-Full grown, hooray! 100 lvl
Done!

Note:
Each level the character would grow a little bit as a dragon. You wouldn't notice the size-difference between each lvl, but after 10 lvls the difference would be clear. This is to enhance the feeling 'I am stronger than those lvl 1:s.' At least I've always felt that a higher lvl character is physically bigger. :/ In WoW at least.

Now. For the reason why would the mighty dragons need pesky human forms? First, for roleplay reasons. ;D You might want to play a human all the time. (there could however be a human-faction to play right from the start as a human but that would be unbalanced...) Second, there would be 2 kinds of towns. (and there should be at least 100 small towns, and over 20 bigger ones, maybe in time.)
First type of town would be a dragon-town. In there, it doesn't matter whether or not you are a dragon or a human. They recognize you.
Second type would be human-town. There you would have to disguise yourself as a human, otherwise the villagers would fear you and not talk to you about anything interesting. (Who cares if they have a wife and children?) Some towns would even attack you, if they are brave. Human cities attack dragons always, no fearing there.
Those wouldn't be REALLY good reasons, but there is also some bonuses for being a human. You can get into the smaller dungeons, which hold nice equipment. ;3 Because your size diminishes, and you lose your beautiful scales, your defence and strenght will decrease. But your agility and intellect will increase, because humans have survived thanks to those attributes.

Armour:
You could personalize your character even further by adding armour and accessories. In dragon form, you could wear necklaces, earrings (they would change to decorate your horn(s) instead.) shoulderplates, chestplates, wristguards, tail-jewelry, helmets and gloves. You can't equip them in dragon form, though. This is because the magic which changes the dragon into human and back, transforms what the human is wearing into dragon-equipment. Trousers just transform into hindleg-jewelry. Only tail-accessories are equippable in dragon-form.
The original suit which the human-form gets automatically is determined by the dragon's species and job. For example a red dragon magician would have dark-red robe with black patterns.

There should be also an option to hide all of the equipment or only a part of it in the dragon-form.
Ravelogue to the Capitals: Get the most out of your trips (Excuse the bad names ;D)
- White Dragons: Glacier Mountain
A large mountain with dragon-dens carved into the walls. At the bottom there is a large tunnel to the inside of the mountain. In the mountain would be a large crystal which lights the city. This city's specialty is different draconic weapons, easy to use with your tail. Please note the coldness outside the mountain, as you will probably freeze your scales or something else as nasty.
- Black Dragons: Plummeting Depths
Deep in the Dismal Mountain Range, a dark city which uses magical street lamps to light the way. Chasms have green mushrooms to warn from the long fall. This city has enchanted accessories to help you stay unnoticed. Try the local fungi-special.
- Green Dragons: Tree Haven
Large tree in a swamp. There is never any daylight, as the tree shadows the whole place. From a distance you can see the greenish lights from the top of the tree. You can either fly in there from a nearby cliff, as the elders have created a flight path even the weakest fliers can use. This town has the best staves. If you go sight-seeing to the higher brances, be sure not to slip or you will have a long fall.
-Red Dragons: Raging Mountain
The town is in a volcano, and therefore not a very good place to keep your scales clean. Red dragons can take a bath in one of the shallow lava pools. Outside the mountain there is a fire temple, in which you can listen to the wisdom of the elders... Or lurk for quests. This town has better armour than anywhere else. Fliers may not find it fun to leave, as you have to use the rising smoke as your lift. It gives a nasty debuff to your strenght, but it will wear off before you land. Hopefully.
-Blue Dragons: Coral Reef
The trip into this city is an adventure in itself, except if you are a blue dragon. The whole city is underwater. Luckily in the city you can breathe like normal. It is one of the more beautiful cities, as all houses are inside corals. They make all kinds of coral accessories, and also fishing poles.
-Celestial Dragons: Sky Garden
You better not make the trip if you don't like high places, as this city resides on top of a large cloud. For those who don't fly, as there are many of them, celestial dragons have kindly provided a bridge. Navigating in the city can be hard if you don't know the most important routes. You will need your map very often, as it is hard to find the walkways to the houses. This city's specialty are lovely fabrics, and an interesting dish called 'Cloud-cream.' They say it is made from clouds, but don't believe that.
Newborn celestial dragons train in a small park outside the city, and it is kind of fun to watch them toil. Especially if you have good friends and lots of drinks as it can get hot under the sun.

You could explore the oceans too, with the help of a magical accessory or a spell, or if you have a blue dragon, just swim like you always have. ;3

Okay... If there were a human-faction, the relationship would go like this. *ahem* When a human PC meets a dragon PC, the human may choose to attack. Dragon PC can attack too, but will get a "wanted" mark, because of lore-reasons which I will explain soon.
When a Dragon PC is in Human form, Human PC will think that it is a Human PC. Dragon PC can talk and party and all that with humans, as long as they stay in human form.

Dragons aid humans because their elders have agreed to help any budding sentient races to flourish. Humans however fear dragons, for understandable reasons, and do not want to work with them. Dragons developed this skill to disguise themselves as humans to give their aid. ;3

That game would be very large, very expensive to develop, but it would have lots of things to do, and I think it would be pretty fun too. Especially if you like dragons. (and many of us do. Very Happy)"

LONG LONG LONG. I usually separate different ideas very distinctly, so you don't have to read it all to get the basic idea.

Part #2: Concept of exploring

There will never be a MMORPG game based on exploring. It is just too much work: creating millions of different places to explore...
I've played WoW. I loved the exploring. It wasn't hovewer fun to explore in an area, which was safe. I had to go to the HIGH KILLER level areas.

An experience...
I was in a crater, which had so strong monsters that they kill me with 2-4 hits. Well, I was in the edge. I see a gnome-player. I go to him, skin some monsters. He starts to back away from me. I thought he just joked that I was crazy to be there. Then I turn around. An ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE tyrannosaurus-monster was just in front of me. I quickly wrote "lol" so that the other player understood that I die happy, ( Wink ) then I really burst out laughing when the monster began chasing the gnome instead. I just watched them disappear, and hurried to safety. When I looked back, I saw another one just chilling there and soon the monster returned. I saw the gnome later, it seemed to have escaped the monster. It was one of the most hilarious moments I've had in WoW. (My character was level 40, the monster was level 60, and "elite" which means it is even stronger than normal 60 level monsters.)

This is a long post. ;D
Nem
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That "horizons steals your money" stuff is nonsense, I believe that was a bug that happened shortly after they changed ownership. It's long fixed now, I've certainly had no problems B:

And a few of your ideas are similar to Horizons too, particularly the life stages (horizons aslo features a long, hard quest to become a massive ancient dragon) and a "human form"! Your ideas are lovely though, and I would certainly play this game if it was ever created! Love all the descriptions too Laughing

And I think everyone's had a lollerific epic monster encounter somewhere! Exploring is a whole lot more funnier with them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Verdalas
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
maekgameno0wplzzz.

Seriously. You've taken everything I wanted in a dragon MMO and stuck it here. It's perfect. And flawless. Shocked

(If I ever get rich, get in contact with me and I will find people to make the game!)

But i might be interesting if the human forms could ride other dragons. Maybe it would be dissrespectful but I know a lot of dragon rider fans who would jump at the idea. x_x
Ymedron
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:13 am Reply with quote
Yup, I took ideas from other games. But the posts in the forums were pretty recent if I remember right... Or then it was something that they won't always suspend your account and I can't call them because my english pronouncing is bad. x.x
I didn't like the anthro-system too much with their form, and I was also thinking about WoW rather than Horizons. Razz
http://umbbe.deviantart.com is my deviantart-account. There is an image with the designs for dragons, if you are interested. :3

Edit: Oh yaas... I could explain almost everything either by being my dream concept or being there to please. The human form and maybe faction is JUST for the gamers who don't want to play a dragon all the time. Main pressure be on the dragons. Yarr.

Last edited by Ymedron on Tue May 06, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I like the dragon designs. =) They sound cool.

But how do you level up?
Ymedron
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought that you just get exp? It is the easiest concept to get and easiest way to level. It's annoying to have to raise your skills instead (especially if they include lots of spamming.)
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Just be existing?

That sounds cool to me! If I was designer I'd cut out humans altogether, to keep the focus more narrow, but as it stands I'd play that game!
Ymedron
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
Hmmh... But as a MMORPG, you need a conflict and something you have to do. Why would the dragons even want to set out if there is nothing they are needed for?
Verdalas
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
Ymedron wrote:
Hmmh... But as a MMORPG, you need a conflict and something you have to do. Why would the dragons even want to set out if there is nothing they are needed for?

MMORPG's tend to revolve around the grind system. Maybe it could be a more community based role to help them level, such as taking on roles to defend their homes, help NPC, etc. Like part-time jobs in Mabinogi.

I like the idea that you could use a skill system to help them level. I admire the idea of lairshaper and crafter for dragons in Horizons, but do they actually help level you? It would be neat if they could in this idea. You're bound to attract more attention to your game if it's more than just fight-fight-fight.
E.B
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Good old unethical MMORPGs.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ymedron wrote:

Helping NPCs? Set quests to do...or actions that everyone could do to improve the whole game for everyone. So perhaps digging down to a gem cave (or something) which you can use to make jewellery for yourself.

So players would need to organise themselves to dig, then organise themselves to extract the gems, then organise to make things out of them...

It might not work in practice, but I'd like to see an MMORPG that forces players to develop sophisticated organisations.
Ymedron
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
About classes and leveling up...
Maybe there could be three main "classes": Teacher, you spend your time doing quests and perfecting your skills and then teach them to others. i don't know how this would happen, though. Teacher-skills are superior to NPC-skills, and only teachers could upgrade your existing skills.
Crafter: Many subclasses, in Angels Online you can select and swap your skills however you want until level 20, you just have to level them up. This could apply the skill-leveling raises your level- system.
Fighter: The basic MMORPG player, you kill monsters, do quests and level by exp.

Crafters would have some special recipes which need more than one player to do them, for example a big cave-system or something. You would level your skills better when building with others (craft-party)

Teachers have to choose either crafting or fighting, doing either of these. You however wouldn't level unless you teach a certain amount of people...That way some of the skill leveling would be done by players. BUT this needs a mature and charitable community to work.

Crafter skill trees (WoW-esque term but vaster)
GemCrafter: create valuable accessories and craft gems for magicians.
Armorer: The basic armor-maker. Could special in either metal or leather
Tailor: Makes clothes.
Weapon-blacksmith: All kinds of weapons. Specialties in either magical, melee or ranged weapons.
Woodcrafter: Makes anything from wooden stalls to houses... (You would have to buy a stall to sell your stuff to other people, if you don't want to shout and trade or use auction house. Also hire a NPC to keep the shop when you travel.)

I usually want a bigger reason to set a foot out of your home than to just do some little quests... Like in WoW, your race has something very big going on, like Night Elves trying to recover their immortality and preserve nature, Trolls trying to just restore their tribe's glory and on and on...
That way there were 2 kinds of quests: Community, or private. Community quests advance certain faction's plans, private quests are like the "chicken-quest" when you just have to find a chicken some food to get a prairie chicken pet.

For a bad example, Flyff has VERY few quests. They either are town quests, which just say "This and this needs this loot, go get it" and no back-story. Flyff is very hard to roleplay because it doesn't have any threat... Clockworks just sits in his lair, sometimes attacks the town and calls giant monsters and all newbies just die thinking "what's going on?"

We need a better story to back the quests to... But what? Razz
Mayar
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
I got Ideas for Quests:

(Hint: When creating Quests, don´t go into "collect x stuff from Muchkin Monsters").

Flying Quests: Flying trough Targets (maybe to obtain Lvlup in Flyingskill).
Siege Events: Attacking other Dragonspecies just like in WAR.
Helping the Humanpopulation in Order to Remove Wanted Marrker.
Finding a Breedpartner: You can have a NPC party (U, Partner, Baby/s)
axcho
Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Ahh, dragons. How we love them.

Ymedron wrote:
Dragons aid humans because their elders have agreed to help any budding sentient races to flourish. Humans however fear dragons, for understandable reasons, and do not want to work with them. Dragons developed this skill to disguise themselves as humans to give their aid. ;3
Hmm, where did you get this idea from? Did you read the book Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn? (if not you should, by the way - I highly recommend it)

Ymedron wrote:
There will never be a MMORPG game based on exploring. It is just too much work: creating millions of different places to explore... I've played WoW. I loved the exploring. It wasn't hovewer fun to explore in an area, which was safe. I had to go to the HIGH KILLER level areas.
Yes there will be - we must have faith! Procedural content generation will save us! Wink

I'm not being entirely sarcastic there, I do believe that procedural content generation will make creating an exploration-based MMO feasible in the future. Multiplayer Knytt, anyone?

Ymedron wrote:
What if you made it more like The Endless Forest? Wouldn't that be cool - The Endless Forest with dragons instead of deer? I had thought about a variation featuring tree-dwelling squirrels, though come to think of it dragons could be pretty cool too...

E.B wrote:
Indeed. Nice to see the kids keeping the tradition alive in their dreams. Razz

Wildbluesun wrote:
Helping NPCs? Set quests to do...or actions that everyone could do to improve the whole game for everyone. So perhaps digging down to a gem cave (or something) which you can use to make jewellery for yourself.

So players would need to organise themselves to dig, then organise themselves to extract the gems, then organise to make things out of them...

It might not work in practice, but I'd like to see an MMORPG that forces players to develop sophisticated organisations.
I agree, that would be very cool. I think MMORPGs could be useful experimental tools in designing real-world social organization.

Is A Tale in the Desert anything like what you describe?
Ymedron
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for being away for so long time! Crying or Very sad My interest suddenly disappeared for this forum. Sad
Now, for the responses...

Quote:
Mayar wrote:
I got Ideas for Quests:

(Hint: When creating Quests, don´t go into "collect x stuff from Muchkin Monsters").

Flying Quests: Flying trough Targets (maybe to obtain Lvlup in Flyingskill).
Siege Events: Attacking other Dragonspecies just like in WAR.
Helping the Humanpopulation in Order to Remove Wanted Marrker.
Finding a Breedpartner: You can have a NPC party (U, Partner, Baby/s)

Yes, different quests would be awesome. I thought on the spot some more...
Flying: Races, think the Shimmering Flats in WoW. (Goblins and gnomes race their insane vechiles) but player-based. If someone took a head-start, they would be either disqualified or bumped back into the row until the signal to start racing is given.
Catch: You have to catch an enemy NPC who is fleeing. It could be either a public quest (alá Warhammer Online) or just singular quest. It should require a questline if it is singular, because otherwise there would be a large line of players waiting to catch the NPC.
Siege: I've split the dragons into two factions, so yes, sieges would be good. ;3
Helping people: This would be one of the main goals of the good dragons' faction, so yes. Evil dragons probably want the rewards, so they wouldn't "need" a wanted marker. Of course, they could be announced wanted by the opposing faction.
Breeding: Well... I think this would be good for roleplaying purposes, but what happens to the baby? Does a new player get it randomly, or is it just a "pet" for the parents? The pet would be better, as the parent doesn't have to deal with as much trouble. The baby would just be fed like the pets of WoW-hunters.

The factions:
Dragons with humans:
White dragon - Elf?
Celestial dragon - Human
Green dragon - A jungle-tribesman (wears always some skull of an animal)
Orange dragon (A wyvern-like creature, the "hands" are on the wings. Their heads are like smooth shields, almost alienlike, and have some large jewels on them. No horns, the chooser for horns defines their head-shape. Horn color-chooser changes the color of the jewels) Another type of elf, or some other humanoid?

Dragons against humans: (Humans are more suspicious and probably ask some questions. Some "evil" humanfactions don't care)
Black dragon - Dark elf?
Red dragon - Dwarf
Blue dragon - A water-goblin? Or some other "almost humanoid" creature. A hood comes on the first transformation, and character should wear it to lessen the suspections.
Purple dragon (It's horns spout poisonous gases, and it is very thin and sickly looking. The wings are boney, and curl around large orbs, so the dragon is able to fly when it has enough magical powers) - Undead. They'd also need some kind of concealment to not be completetly rejected...

Quote:
Ahh, dragons. How we love them.

Oh, yes... Why haven't people by the way tried to create more dragon-MMORPG:s? They ARE the most popular fantasy-creature ever invented, right?
Quote:
Hmm, where did you get this idea from? Did you read the book Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn? (if not you should, by the way - I highly recommend it)

I got this idea when I attempted to play Horizons, but got scared when people were speaking on the MMORPG.com - site's forums that they had very hard time ending their subscription. The good parts of Horizons is that it features dragons, but the bad sides are/were that they are treated too differently. It would be good to have them equal to humans, even if they are stronger.
I haven't read that book. Surprised It seems hovewer quite right about a lot of things. Wink Too bad that our library doesn't have a good selection of books...

Quote:
Yes there will be - we must have faith! Procedural content generation will save us! Wink

I'm not being entirely sarcastic there, I do believe that procedural content generation will make creating an exploration-based MMO feasible in the future. Multiplayer Knytt, anyone?

If I understand the term right (procedural content generation: The computer creates a basic environment, and the developers add features and points of interest?) it would be quite easy to create a large world.

Quote:
What if you made it more like The Endless Forest? Wouldn't that be cool - The Endless Forest with dragons instead of deer? I had thought about a variation featuring tree-dwelling squirrels, though come to think of it dragons could be pretty cool too...

Or a mod for Endless forest, everyone who wanted to have it would just download it: The deer would be replaced with a dragon (with small wings so it couldn't fly...) and the animations would be tailored for dragons. Wink Then people could create their own mods: Wolves, horses, giant pink kangaroos... Very Happy The Elder Scrolls modding-community is unbelievable with their mods.

Quote:
Quote:
E.B wrote:

Indeed. Nice to see the kids keeping the tradition alive in their dreams. Razz

Hmm, do you mean games that don't try to teach people something? ;D Or maybe... A game which doesn't have to worry about racism or something else my fried brain hasn't thought about yet...

Quote:
I agree, that would be very cool. I think MMORPGs could be useful experimental tools in designing real-world social organization.

I love the way the society in WAR works. People actually work together, and rarely do I see people just hogging the glory. Maybe that is because no high-levels can be cried for help.
Maybe expanding on the guilds... These examples would be the "ideal" use of different guild-types.
Crafter's guilds: The middle-ages guilds, people would be quite close as they would be often needing help from each other. The guild could arrange a "community-project" for example building a new siege-engine or repairing a city wall.
Warrior's guilds: The guilds you see on WoW or WAR. They arrange town-raids, dungeon-crawls or an all-out siege on a city.
Teacher's guilds: The guild could get some place to gather at certain times. Other classes would learn these dates they gather, and where, to get training and upgrades to their skills. The guild-leader or some of the guild-secretaries would post on a common place their meetings. Different trainer-rosters would meet in different places. For example, there is a level 1-20 (if we assume the max. level is 100) town called "Wolfwood", and that way all level 1-20 trainers of the guild "Ancient Knowledge" agreed to gather there every week. The good fame of the guild draws a lot of other classes there. The traders quickly learn this, and gather there to sell their goods. (the stalls have a special area, so the town won't be crowded with them.) This way, most if not all players of certain levels will benefit of the gathering. Instead of being splattered around every main-city, the traders would travel between each town, chasing the "gatherings." Roleplayers would appreciate this, I imagine, as in other MMORPG:s a trader can only do well if they either have a "slave" in cities selling stuff for them, or using the auction house. Not very roleplaying-inspiring?

And of course the "We do all" guilds. People create them because they like to hang around, chat and maybe get advice from experienced players. The basic "good community" guild.

Quote:
Is A Tale in the Desert anything like what you describe?

You probably meant this for Wildbluesun, but I like the idea of that game too! Now, if we combine all of these ideas, we'd get a rich game with all kinds of gamers: The grinders(for lack of a better term) who roam the wilderness killing monsters to do quests, the crafters who do this a bit less, concentrating on community and creating items to help others, the scholars who study certain crafts by either helping professional crafters, slaying monsters or searching for ancient books to help their friends, PVP:rs, and the all-for community, doing politics and all that.
This way the game-company would get lots of players. (meaning lots of money from subscriptions. Wink)
Subscriptions would be better than the "Cash Shop" first being that all players are equal. Second that the cash shop isn't enough to fund the game. Third is that people may think that Cash shop= Grinding-game.

I've said some things again...