top_image

<  Writing & Interface Design  ~  Roleplaying games

ÄlveKatt
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I have written a few rolplaying game adventures, and they have never played well. Usuallly because the story gets too complex for the players to understand, which means that they never do what the adventures requires... I also noticed that a complex story tends to make the adventure a bit to linear. The next time I GM I will not use a prewritten adventure, instead I will let the players choose from a set of interesting campaign concepts I found in GURPS Space and improvise the adventure from there.

The creator of my favourite RPG writes that you should allways have very loosely written adventures. The rest you improvise with the help of the game world and the backgrounds the players have written for their charachters.

I think that would be an interesting concept for a computer game. Choose a set of parameters for your charachter, childhood was nice, bad, parents were merchants, farmers, nobility, lived in a big city, small town. Relations with siblings, some thoughts about school time. And so on. Then the adventure is generated based on parameters for the details that the player has chozen. What do you think?
Michael
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Sounds great. But it'll require some heavy programming on the storytelling side. What humans do quasi-effortlessly, is quite difficult for a computer.

Chris Crawford's project, Storytron, might be suitable for this.
ÄlveKatt
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I imagine it would be difficult. But then again, I'm sure that it doesn't take that much to outshine pretty much everything that has come before in that respect, (maybe with the exception of the first Black and White game).

I have learned one thing; your players will allways want to do something you haven't accounted for. That's actually why I prefer pen and paper RPGs over computer games. In an P&P RPG you can do something the game designer hadn't accounted for, in computer games you pretty much run into a brick wall if you try.

That's just one of the things that make small community games like Endless forest so appealing. You can post your ideas in the forum, and maybe, just maybe, they will end up in the game. And even if your idea don't make it there are allways other people who has come up with good ideas that do get implemented. Making up ideas is half the fun, so they don't feel wasted in the likely event that the idea you posted doesn't make it.

It's kind of a light version of that roleplaying wiki I have mentioned, every fan of the game that wants to has gone there and added their little twist to the game world. It's a lovely playground for me. I like to write new alien species and absolutetly love to draw illustrations of said species.
Lyrak
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
You know, I've never done pen-and-paper RPGs. I started with email RPGs on the internet, moved to message boards, then to chats. All freeform, though I admit I do like some of the stricter continuities if the style matches my writing form. The places that define what species you're allowed to be, time period, what weapons and magics exist and don't exist, etc.

I've got a strict RP like that, which I'm in the middle of writing the backstory for. I'd LOVE to see it as a game with this sort of concept, but unfortunately I have no programming skills and I want too much control over it to to let somebody else take over for me (been tweaking ideas around for the continuity for a few years now and only just now am writing them out, so it's kinda my baby <3).
ÄlveKatt
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
If you would be happy with simple 2d graphics there is this roleplaying game maker that lets you make games with Elements of Zelda, Diablo, and such.

I can't find the program I am thinking of, or I can't remember the name. But there are a bunch to choose from, Wikipedia has a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Makers
Lyrak
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
ÄlveKatt wrote:
If you would be happy with simple 2d graphics there is this roleplaying game maker that lets you make games with Elements of Zelda, Diablo, and such.

I can't find the program I am thinking of, or I can't remember the name. But there are a bunch to choose from, Wikipedia has a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Makers

Hehe, I'll have to keep that in mind. Too lazy to right now though.

If it turns out to be something that gathers interest I might just enlist my boyfriend's help. Not sure if he's programmed games but he's done a lot of bizarre stuff even just for his classes in the past, so who knows? lol Not that we know anybody who does graphics, and he's a far cry away from being able to fund his own studio at the moment.
ÄlveKatt
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I think most of those editors are for games with sprites with similar resolution to that of this forums smilies... You can pretty much use MS paint with zoom and still get decent result on those. I see that some of the editors has a built in sprite painting program.

You should try Pen and paper RPGs. It has the advantage of being both intellectually stimulating and a social game at the same time.

I have played E-mail RPGs a couple of times. I had a darn good group then, all of them were great writers with great imagination and sense of story. I read through all our entries a number of times and realized that the fantasy story we had created outshone pretty much all translated generic massproduced fantasy books ever released in Sweden. (With the exception a few really good ones that dare break the genre norms, but they can't be called generic.)
Mayar
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Neverwinter Nights 2 had this system, where you could create your character in every way... I mean that it would be best if you just take a look...