top_image

<  Writing & Interface Design  ~  Just came from an open house at a local college...

Kumiko
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Apr 2008 Posts: 159 Location: The Endless Forest
So I'm looking into applying for Spring classes at a community college around where I live. One of the things I'd love to be able to do is be a writer either for a game company or for film. (You know, coming up with the plot and characters, writing the script, etc...)

I'm looking into courses right now but one thing I wanted to ask was this: What should I take?

I know that I'll probably get some sort of Major in English and look into something for film but are there any other courses I should look into? Is there any other experience I may need?

Can some of you writers- especially anyone who has a little bit experience with writing for games or movies - give me a little advice?
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
...PRACTICE AND PRACTICE SOME MORE.

Sign up to your personal writer's course and force yourself to write. Is my very unhelpful advice that you already knew.

Err, perhaps try (as a prerequisite for being hired) to get published in a magazine or something?
Kumiko
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Apr 2008 Posts: 159 Location: The Endless Forest
The college has a student newspaper that I looked into as well while I was there.
Mayar
Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
thx ur tip has helped a lot