top_image

<  News & gossip  ~  The Game is Not the Medium

Michael
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
... or “How To Ignore the Shiny Box”

Julian Oliver's keynote lecture at Mediaterra, Athens in October 2006, is a very interesting examination of the current state of game (mod) art and how its future might (or should) look.

Arrow http://selectparks.net/~julian/share/text/The-Game-is-not-the-Medium_Oliver-2006.pdf
Mike
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting point of view on the video game as a medium (and what it is that the author should consider their medium).

One thing that came to mind for me was when the author was stating that someone's design choices are limited by the game engine they choose. The example the author gives is that it is like painting when someone else chooses your colors, but all art forms/mediums are inherently limited because by choosing to paint at all you are limiting yourself from using dirt, your voice or whatever for your work. I wonder if this point was all that important to make (Perhaps to encourage others to frequently create new open source game engines?). Despite this nitpicky-ness, this paper had some points worth making and thanks for posting it!
Michael
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Perhaps painting was a bad example.
But given that games are really pushing the technology to its very edges, each engine always needs to be optimized to do a single thing very well. This obviously at the expense of other things. I think that's what Mr. Oliver was referring to.
You are correct that limitations always exist (and I even believe that they stimulate creativity more than hinder it) but game engines tend to be extremely specialized. As a result, it is difficult for an artist to change the aesthetic of a certain engine or the basic interface (first person shooter e.g.).