top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Early Computer Games

freeflow
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The first game that I got really hooked on (apart from the full size arcade coin op 'scrmable') was Elite on the ZX Spectrum. After that I got into playing Flight Sims on the Amiga and eventually switched to the PC because they ran better Sims and Strategys. So I guess really, I'm a sim and strategy head. bring back ye days of old!
Auriea
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:36 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
great ! because my first computer game memories are of text based adventure games on my Commodore VIC-20. can you find any of the games you mention anymore?... even to play in emulation? i found sites with old VIC-20 stuff. Ahhh.. how i long for cassette tape strorage, just for the nostalgia of it ........

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/3583/Vgrabs.html

now if only i could remember the name of that game... it was the first game i ever finished and it was about a vampire in an old castle.....
Auriea
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:45 am Reply with quote
aaaaahhhhh i found it ! Laughing

You wake up in a large brass bed in a castle somewhere in Transylvania. Who are you, what are you doing here, and WHY did the postman deliver a bottle of blood? You'll love this ADVENTURE, in fact, you might say it's Love at First Byte...

i also played Voodoo Castle i recall....

http://www.lysator.liu.se/adventure/Adventure_International/Classic.html#4:__Voodoo_Castle
freeflow
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:08 am Reply with quote
You know, I had long forgoton about some of those games. Thanks for jogging my memory. Its comforting to know that somewhere out there, is somebosy who has archieved all of these once classic games. The game I played was Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle and I even copied the cover onto a big piece of paper and had that hangin on my wall. That was soooooo long ago!!!!!!!!!

Yes, text based adventure games. My first memories were also of text based adv games, on the ZX 81, before landing onto the ZX Specturm and being treated to some clunky lines hear and there representing a forest or a castle.

With regards to the old Speccy games, I have a Speccy and C=64 Emulator prog, but cant find my favourite all time classic - ELITE! That was my ultimate game. However, that said, Frontier was a near classic on the PC. Especially using all that classical musicfor the docking sequences, very Stanley Kubrick Space Odyssey 2001. I think if you wanna make a powerful game, then you have to get cinematic qualities in there, would you agree?[/img]
Auriea
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:22 am Reply with quote
i want to throw this in here because i just saw it and found it apropos http://www.moca.org/museum/digital_gallery/eloyer/index_eloyer.html its art but it seems to be about something Idea the artist appears to be trying to show how the game wolfenstein and its many updates over the years has effected him, his relationship to his art and his relationship to computing in general. a strange game/life autobiography.

on the topic of cinematic.... i don't think it is at all necessary. some tricks always work sure and classical music is one of them. But part of what we are experimenting with in making our game is what sorts of paradigms one can come up with which are about games in their own right. not games that are kind of like cinema or games that remind you of a book but some sort of truly "3d" "interactive" aesthetic or way of associating what is going on onscreen to the player.

the lovely thing about the text based games was that element of fantasy and it exsisting mostly inside your own head. the earliest game were so abstract but it didn't matter if it was just a line and a pixel moving across the screen you could actually believe that you were playing tennis! so i don't really like the trend of adding cinematic details to games just for the sake of being dramatic.... i think there is something else overlooked.... something not yet experimented with... and when we figure it out we'll let you know Wink
freeflow
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:03 am Reply with quote
I would like to add that although cinematic techniques are definetely not necessary on the top side, you do find yourself using cinematic language as a working methodology for the underside construction of a 3D model, animation or game.

I think that game creation technology borrows heavily from this particular stable, in the sense that special effects, interesting camera angles and hollow 3D objects resembling the one sided movie props are all used to 'trick' the viewer. However, I'm all for the 'art for art's sake' maxim and sometimes its all you need to liberator creatiivity.

I would definetely agree that you don't need the big powerful movie effects to suspend ones disbelief. I used to be totally convinced that I was once happily flying and also landing a 747 jumbo jet, back in the early days of the ZX81 and a black and white portable 14" TV. Watching a few clunky pixels shift around on a black and white screen did it for me - and millions of others. When I got bored of flying that plane, it was off to the Swiss Alps, for a spot of sking, courtesy of Horace Smile