top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  Red Ridinghood Variations

Peyton
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Feb 2008 Posts: 330 Location: She might not be physicaly here, but she's with us.
Michael wrote:
Peyton wrote:
To be honest I don't like the story of Little Red Ridding Hood because it is one of the stories to cause fear of the wolf.

I understand what you mean. But the wolf in the story is just a metaphor for certain human men who might seem friendly but are actually very bad.

I like the concept you came up with, instead of an actually wlf just bad guys. Smile Very Happy
mzprx
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
there is a short film inspired by this tale...
http://redchap.free.fr
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium

by friendbeast
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
mzprx wrote:
there is a short film inspired by this tale...
http://redchap.free.fr

Very pretty.
Though I'm not sure what it means... Confused
axcho
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
red hood
Theberge1
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Aug 2007 Posts: 56 Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I like the idea of Micheal and Aureia of Wolves. Because the word "wolf" means something cunning, appealing, who wants you to come in his night. And that description can actualy fit to a human.
Mirelmture
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
I saw someone post a picture of Red by Endling earlier in this thread. I just wanted to point out that there are more pictures and more comic pages in Endlings gallery now. http://endling.deviantart.com/

Also, I watched a movie of a play not long ago, called Into the Woods. I loved it! I really disliked the bratty Little Red Riding Hood at first, but her character really grew on me. Months later I still get songs from this stuck in my head.
Info
DVD Image
Ookani
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
As much of a wolf-fan I am, I have to say I love just how evil he gets in Grimm's Fairytales.

To be honest, Wolves aren't peaceful, earth loving puppies getting out their guitars and howling "Michael Row the Boat Ashore". They do what they're born to do; Eat, Hunt, Mate, Sleep, Raise Young, and then kick the bucket. And their ghostly, mournful calls bring the hairs up on the backs of anyone's neck. They're pretty intense creatures, and they make wonderful villains. Evil or Very Mad

This however is a very sweet one indeed http://youkaiyume.deviantart.com/art/Big-Bad-and-Lil-Red-48665963

And this, not so cute. But oddly hilarious. http://homelyvillain.deviantart.com/art/Red-Riding-Hood-Is-Dead-74294162
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
axcho
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Another: Waiting For the Campers
Corvus
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Apr 2008 Posts: 3 Location: Oh yes, that's true.
After pawing through this thread this weekend, I woke up with my own Ms. Hood roaming about in my head this morning. Not as spectacular as many in this thread, but charming in its way. I titled it "Addicted to the Chase."

Addicted to the Chase

Michael, you say that people think they're being subversive when they portray Red as a strong female, but I don't think that's always the case. I suspect many of the artists are familiar with the older versions of the tale and the rest are merely a result of the story trying to reassert its significance in a modern age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice.

I don't know anything about the backgrounds of modern Riding Hood retellers, of course. I just find killing the wolf to be such an unimaginative ending of the story. Typically something that our unimaginative tv-drenched age would come up with. So you're probably right: they're just trying to be modern. And modern is kind of pathetic.
Corvus
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that the media's seeming obsession with depicting women as the primary victims of violence and murder (both our news and entertainment media), it's probably rather important to have images where the roles are reversed, forcing the dangerous predator to become the victim.

In the Grimm's version of the tale I have in this book next to me, Red and her Grandmother conspire to kill a second wolf on their own, after being rescued by the huntsman from the first. So... modern is also somewhat relative I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
I do consider the Grimm version to be modern, actually.

I'm not aware of this depiction-of-women-as-victims trend. Or do you mean the damsel-in-distress kind (aka those poor oppressed women in Iraq and Afghanistan)?

I prefer the nuances of the older tale, that warns against the seduction by certain men. And where the female protagonist can overcome the situation without resorting to violence. Rather than the brutal sexist murdering in modern versions that completely nullifies the playfulness and the charming ambiguity of the older stories.

But, yeah, I'm old school. And I live more or less on a different planet.
Corvus
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sure, I can see calling the Grimm versions modern. I posted on Sunday that we may be upset at Disney for 'corrupting' Grimm, but we need to take into account that the Grimms themselves began the process by cleaning up the tales in the first place.

You're not aware of a trend in portraying women as victims? Horror movies, action movies, dramas--all tend to portray women as the weaker sex, constantly in danger of being kidnapped, raped and murdered and in need of rescuing by a man. I would begin listing titles, but would quickly run out of space.

And while it has been some time since I have bothered watching televised news, I remember a decidedly sensationalist approach to broadcasting incidents of violence against women, no matter their country of origin.
Michael
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
I don't watch that many horror movies. And no television at all. And the television that we get here in Belgium is a bit different, I think.

Anyway, I guess I sort of overlooked films where women are portrayed as weak because a) I don't watch many films like that and b) it's such a cliché that it becomes invisible. And while I certainly do appreciate attacking clichés, I think horror movies gain a lot of their effect from admitting that women are often physically weaker (and/or less inclined to use violence). That is an interesting fact for a movie that wants to scare you. It's a cliché and there are horror movies that work the other way around (like Misery), but it works: as an audience we will find it a lot easier to empathise with a "weak woman" than with anything else.

Thanks for pointing out the link between Disney and Grimm. It is all too often that people think that the Grimm version of folk tales is the "dark" or even "orginal" version. But older versions are often a lot more interesting and definitely darker than the cleaned up household tales of the Grimms. And they often tell an entirely different story about the place of and relationship between the genders.