top_image

<  News & gossip  ~  Africa - The MMO

Auriea
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
wow.
http://www.africammo.com/
very ambitious indeed. looks great! but too bad it puts the usual emphasis on battle. i think there is more than enough of that in "real life" Africa.

i found it via this (was linked via slashdot.)
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1523211/20060203/index.jhtml
Harlequinn
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
eenteresting, i thought it was the other game... "Afrika"
wow, africa is getting attention Wink good attention though.
i'm going to have to read more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Quote:
The African mythology back from 1200 to 1400 A.D. is thousands of times richer than the J.R.R. Tolkien series of novels.

Agreed! Africa's a whole continent; Tolkein was just one man. Anyway, he probably drew elements of his work, subconsciously or otherwise, from the myths, African or otherwise - myths are the oldest form of story, on which all other stories are based.

And have you noticed how weak the characters in Tolkein's books are? If you've read The Hobbit, you'll know that at the beginning 12 dwarves are introduced; by the end of the book you still can't draw a clear distinction between one dwarf and the other. They all merge into general dwarfness. That's partly why the West End production was so bad; theatre's all about character, and Tolkein doesn't do character, he does sweeping landscapes and epic wars.

...But yeah, I love folklore and mythology. For Christmas I want BIG books on lots of different cultures' mythology. Putting aside the Greco-Roman myths, there's Inuit, Aztec, Native American, African, Chinese, Japanese, Hindu, the Australian Dreamtime, and all the different European cultures...there's so many of these primal, original stories that I haven't read!

[/ramble-rant]
Kanter
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dead link- server not found

is this an abandoned project or is their server down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Auriea
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
yes, i guess they abandonned it Sad too bad.
Le Lapin
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
There is this, from about a year later – http://www.secretlair.com/index.php?/clickableculture/entry/africa_mmo_designer_speaks_up – but the fact that the URL of their Web site now redirects to something completely different isn't very encouraging. And anyway, I never much cared for the name (the multitude of RPGs founded in European mythology aren't all called "Europe") nor for the style of the rendering and characters. I'd rather it had looked more Kirikou and the Sorceress (or like an East Asian RPG, but with a more specific ethnicity to the clothing and so on) than an American special-effects film, though the latter is most likely what they were aiming for and what they target audience would have wanted. Mr. Green
Kanter
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
o nice find!

Good that they're getting back on their feet; though I'm not very enthusiastic about the game...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Le Lapin
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
This got me me thinking about something else, later on last night. Have you noticed that we tend to visualise the folklore and mythology of non-European cultures – especially Australia, the Americas and Egypt (Africa other than the north is hardly known at all outside of itself) – as very abstracted and illustrative, while Classical and Norse mythology and European fairy tales we tend to think of in a more "live-action" way, because we used to seeing it illustrated in a more photo-real way both books and moving image? Or is this just me? Question

Last edited by Le Lapin on Sun May 11, 2008 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anuket
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Wildbluesun"]
Quote:

...But yeah, I love folklore and mythology. For Christmas I want BIG books on lots of different cultures' mythology. Putting aside the Greco-Roman myths, there's Inuit, Aztec, Native American, African, Chinese, Japanese, Hindu, the Australian Dreamtime, and all the different European cultures...there's so many of these primal, original stories that I haven't read!

Do not forget Egyptian! 8D And Norse! Their myths and legends are so cool!
Anuket
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Le Lapin wrote:
This got me me thinking about something else, later on last night. Have you noticed that me tend to visualise the folklore and mythology of non-European cultures – especially Australia, the Americas and Egypt (Africa other than the north is hardly known at all outside of itself) – as very abstracted and illustrative, while Classical and Norse mythology and European fairy tales we tend to think of in a more "live-action" way, because of how we used to seeing it illustrated in both books and moving image? Or is this just me? Question

I must agree on that. It's probably because it seem very different and probably a bit scary compared to our more familiar folklore.
I find all the differents cultures folklore interesting in some way, even our own tho I've had it down my throat my whole life Razz
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Hmm. Looks like the MMO's folded now...shame, but not really unexpected.

Anuket wrote:
Quote:

Do not forget Egyptian! 8D And Norse! Their myths and legends are so cool!

D= I FORGOT OSIRIS!

But I've remembered now. =D
Le Lapin
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
This is something I had thought lost and have re-found recently: Inuit folklore retold in English poetry. "Upside-Down," from the story Kakuarshuk, is one of my favourites there – it's a longer story, more akin to fairy tales as we recognise them. Others are "just so" stories, "tall tales" or funny little parables like "Him-Whose-Penis-Stretches-Down-to-His-Knees." But there's another, more enigmatic type, of which "The Boy Who Longed to Be a Ghost" is an example. Many stories in the Bible are written in this way, too – very little detail, just a general, sometimes nonsensical outline of the major events, which leaves a lot to the imagination of the reader.

But well, I could go on about folklore in general for pretty much forever. Maybe there should be a thread specifically for that (or maybe not, as then I'd spend most of my life posting to it). Rolling Eyes