top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  Version 2.1 beta available for the streaming client

Michael
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Version 2.1 beta of The Endless Forest is now available through the Streaming Client. This is an experimental piece of software, so use it at your own risk. For one thing, it will definitely need at least 512 MB of RAM.

The major change in this version is the addition of the Fawn avatar, which will be used by the visitors of the Pixel Me exhibition. More news about that later today on the website.

This is a beta version of the client. So we appreciate all reports of errors and bugs.
Kristin
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Downloaded and installing this now. It's taking a long time to load the files, I've got 200 to go as of right now, but it's going well. Smile I will be sure to report any issues to you!

*edit* Nearly 2 hours of loading the files and I've got 172 to go (went at the same rate for a friend of mine on her computer, so it wouldn't seem to be a problem with mine)... just checking, is this normal?
Michael
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It only takes a few minutes for us. We have a normal cable connection.
What kind of connection to the internet do you have? And where are you located?

Perhaps (the connection to) our server is busy. Does our website load slowly for you?
You might want to retry another time.
Kristin
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
All done and in the forest nearly 4 hours (total) later. Shocked Of course, the forest was worth every minute so I'm not complaining... just letting you know! Wink

I have DSL... located in Oregon, USA. The download of the zip was fast, but the file loading process during installation was long. Website seems to be loading fine.
Anduin
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed it seems to go a bit faster if the loading window is your selected program- meaning as I'm surfing the internet it's just dawdling along. =| Hopefully, it will be farther along when I come back from class, as I'm going to leave it running by itself....

Edit- Mmkay, so I'm playing with the streaming client now. My first try was okay, except that I didn't even get up because I got the crazy idea of messing with the files to see if I get my appearance from the regular client over.... That seemed to crash the game when I started it again, but now it's good, and I'm running around my own tiny self again (plus I've learned how to back up my prefs.... <_<).

Edit again- Oh dear... minimizing the window caused all the pictograms to go boom-
Michael
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Are you also in the US, Anduin? How long did it take for you?
Really, here it's a matter of minutes for the whole thing to come in. It's only like 50-60 Megabytes.
Maybe we need a mirror...

I've seen the pictograms error as well. Not sure why this happens now. I'll see if I can fix it.
Anduin
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I am in the Central US- it took about 30-40 minutes to get perhaps 10%, but when I came back after thirty minutes of leaving it alone, the game had started and my deer was sleeping. It does seem to go a whole lot faster if the computer is focusing on it alone....
Sylla
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote
Hi, Kristins friend here, we were both installing the program at the same time, I gave up because mine was even slower than hers (I'm in Australia by the way) retried this morning and it sped through and was done in about 20 minutes, I'd say it was a small blockage yesterday that made it so slow, but all good now.
Michael
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Our server is located in the Netherlands.
A long way from the US and Australia.

But glad to hear the data made it.
Welcome! Smile
Kristin
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to let you know that I haven't had any problems with the streaming client. Working very nicely for me. Smile
Anduin
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It seems like a sort of duh-you-shouldn't-be-doing-that, but if you minimize or do something else when the streaming client is loading up, it'll crash before you can "wake up" your deer (at least for me). Razz

Also, I've seen a deer with a "fawn" pictogram twice today. With the second one, I decided to see what it'd look like with the normal client, and discovered there he had a "normal" pictogram. Embarassed My streaming self seemed big as well, although I'm playing with a deer transformed to small. I'd kinda like to know if my deer seems small to other people or not...?
Kristin
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I play in a window, so I haven't had any crashes (except for the initial crash when initially switching to window mode, happened with the other version too). Very Happy

Haven't been able to track down a fawn, but I saw mini-you. Laughing

Michael
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Anduin wrote:
Also, I've seen a deer with a "fawn" pictogram twice today.

There were two, in fact. And three at some point. We were setting up the Pixel Me exhibition in Roeselare.

Anduin wrote:
With the second one, I decided to see what it'd look like with the normal client, and discovered there he had a "normal" pictogram.

That's normal. The "old" client does not know about Fawn.

Anduin wrote:
My streaming self seemed big as well, although I'm playing with a deer transformed to small. I'd kinda like to know if my deer seems small to other people or not...?

Only the visitors of the exhibition will be able to use a Fawn as their avatar for now. But later, you will too... Smile
Kanter
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
Is the streaming client running on the same server?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
Kanter wrote:
Is the streaming client running on the same server?

Yes.