top_image

<  News & gossip  ~  War & games

Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Jay hasn't been around long enough (25 posts? That's newbie material. *shakes head*) to realise that. XD

Just so you know:
The people on this forum don't even know what a topic is.
Sarah
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Aug 2007 Posts: 1135 Location: Standing amidst the glowing fireflies in the dim twilight.
Nah, no point in starting a whole new conversation. Who here has an account on the WolfQuest forum.
Michael
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
It's cloudy now and it was raining on the highway when we returned from Brussels.
tinfoil
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
Laughing
dasnoop
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Well, when I read the first page of this thread I didn't know what to say. I like shooters, but I can't quite explain why I need the violence in games. It's not that I don't like any other games but violent ones. It's just... I see killing the opponents as the part of a deal (no matter what the deal is). It's survival, necessity to accomplish the mission (or goal) or something like that. But it's true that I thought a lot about this, but never found satisfying answer.

For example, in Silent Hill is a lot of killing, but I do not concentrate on it unless I am forced to do so. Many times I played SH2 I've avoided the enemies on streets. Why to stop and kill them when there will appear another group behind, just when I run around the corner? If I would be able to clean the streets out of them, then it would be different thing. I would do it for greater comfort in travelling around the town, but still I would concentrate on the story and the clues, not violence.

Like Michael I hate authorities in games too. I hate to be ordered around by some maggot who knows better what I should be doing (that includes unavoidable training missions at the beginning). Maybe that's why I like Far Cry where I am not ordered around constantly and I have several options to accomplish the task. Another shooters I like are Serious Sam series, but that's because I found them most stupid and therefore funny games.

I can't defend the violence in games not even be for it. It's just there always was, is and will be violence in the real world and therefore in the games. Violence is one of possible solutions of the problems people have. Probably the most closer solution at hand but with most bitter consequences.

Last edited by dasnoop on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your insights in the hardcore gamer's mind! Smile

I disagree that games somehow imply violence. Or that the violence in the world justifies the violence in games (if games would be representative of the state of the world, there would also be a lot of non-violent games).

I think that it is a combination of the limitations of technology and the lack of research. The latter being caused by the high cost (and therefore high risk and therefore conservative attitudes) of game production. Or as Cliffy B. said, shooting is the easiest way to "touch" a virtual world. Violence is easy. In games. That's why there's a lot of it.

Now, as for the military nature of a lot of games (in structure or in aesthetics), that's another matter. This is probably caused at least in part by current events which have lead to a greater tolerance, if not appreciation, for the military and for strong and violent authority in general.
Harlequinn
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
all this talk about disliking the military and war and not wanting it, but what if countries actually didnt have militaries? would an alternative be they just cut off imports/exports from eachother, or somehow spread serious diseases to one another? or would countries solve their problems humanely and civilized?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
Let's try the latter! Smile
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I personally think most debate works because there's the threat of war beneath it...which sucks.
Michael
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
I personally think most debate works because there's the threat of war beneath it...which sucks.

I personally think that that's very childish of our politicians and that it proves that their hearts are not in the right place. I want politicians who want to make the world a better place for everyone. But that is very rare.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...some EU guy said what I think sums up most politicians:

Quote:
We know what we have to do, but we don't know how to get re-elected after we do it.

I hate stuff like that. =/
Michael
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I always say that commercial media and democracy don't go together. You can either have one or the other.
joecool280
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I personally believe that it is in our nature, our dna to fight, im not saying I support war just that its unavoidable. Its like communism trying to make everyone equal, its a nice idea, it just dosn't work in the real world, there will be always someone who will try to control someone else or try to order someone else about. Its the same in war, there will be some country that will be struck for resources, food, oil, money, uranium, whatever and will try to get some off another country, the country rather then coming to a peacefull solution and giving the country the resources, the emotion of greed will come into it and go to war to stop the other country taking THEIR resources and of course the first country has to defend itself which may be taken as a sign of agression in the other country and so on and so forth. War is impossible to stop, always has, always will. And as this nature to fight is unavoidible it carrys over to everything we do, our art and litreture, our fashion (combat fatigues and boots anyone?) and even our games as it is such a core part of human phyce.

.......Oops got a little carried away there Surprised
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah...BUT, on the other hand, there hasn't been a major European conflict in most peoples' lifetime (and all the people who can remember it'll be dead in a decade, so).

Perhaps CONFLICT is inevitable, but I'm not so sure about VIOLENCE...
Michael
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
joecool280 wrote:
I personally believe that it is in our nature, our dna to fight, im not saying I support war just that its unavoidable.

Maybe. But rain is unavoidable too. And dying when you don't eat. Etc. It is in man's power to "correct" nature. Or at least to prevent being hurt by it.