top_image

<  Writing & Interface Design  ~  Subtle Horror

midoriri
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
HOw do yu make a game scary without blood and guts a la Silent Hill/Resident Evil? Granted, I'm only gonna play ONE horror game (The path) but I know about other horror games and they make it seem so EASY to scare people!
I want to make a horror game that's scary because of the mood, scenary, etc. Things are only suggested, never explicitly shown. But I'm afriad things will only turn out ridiculous, not scary.

Seriously, how to do it? Any ideas here?
Mayar
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Well, there has to be a constant possbility of danger... Heavy Rain is going for something like that...

(Maybe you can play an everythingphobist, but it would be more of a comedy)
Michael
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Have a look at the Project Zero/Fatal Frame games. They're closer to the Asian horror genre (ghosts instead of mosnters, mystery instead of gore).
Monty
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Not too long ago I played a game called Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder. It was released a year ago, I believe, and follows many of the conventions of the Adventure Game genre. I have issues with the game itself, largely due to the holes in the story, but the overall feel of the game creeped me out.

In the game the threat of violence follows you like a shadow, only once or twice does it actually deliver the final blow. Had it gone to town with the zombies and the such the game would just be part of the slush pile. I usually see death or violence in games a sort of release, which to me defeats the purpose of the word horror. When you have these obvious enemies that vanish when you take an axe to its head all pretence of a gripping experience just disappears.

What made me turn on the lights was the audio: the ambiance of the grandfather clock in an empty house, the heavy breathing of the protagonist as he runs away from a freak happening even the absence of any music in places just put me on the edge of my seat. All too often I read of polygons and fps but a seriously underrated aspect of a game must be the audio.

Monty
Mayar
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
FEAR was really a scary game... (Gets white and yellow at the memory... Needs a teddybear)...
Kumiko
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Apr 2008 Posts: 159 Location: The Endless Forest
Like what has been suggested already, try Fatal Frame or Kuon. They're Japanese-styled horror games that center around the Japanese belief of poltergeists, revengeful spirits, etc...

You could also try Call of Cthulhu: The Darkest Corners of the Earth. That game is heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft's works and has a fairly thick atmosphere as well as just being disturbing like his writing.
Mayar
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
This H.P. guy is insane... I tried to get trough it, but I got really confused and a bit crazy...
midoriri
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys. Smile (But I think I might hold off on some of those games you mentioned...I scare VERY easily, have a HIGHLY vivid imagination, and can't get thorough the first ttwo minutes of a horror, just because I know something bad will happen. (And you're all going "And even so, you want to make a HORROR GAME?"))

Okay, just make sure that the threat of death/violence is always there, have creepy music/sounds, etc? That was a bad way to phrase it, because subtle horror requires more than that, but I THINK I've got it...
Mayar
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
There is a level in aliens vs.predators, where no one attacks you, but u still feel em, because all ur mates are getting killed one after another... Creepy
Shuyin
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
"HOw do yu make a game scary without blood and guts a la Silent Hill/Resident Evil?"

The answer is simple: atmosphere. The first Silent Hill game, had an amazing atmosphere during some moments. Like when you're walking around the foggy, empty streets of Silent Hill. Sometimes you ran into monsters but most of the time you didn't.
The danger was only suggested, by different means: a howl from a monster that wasn't really close (or didn't exist at all), but you thought it was; the fog that limited your vision (the fog was actually a technical limitation of the PS1, because it couldn't render the whole town at once), made you advance cautiously and transformed you into a paranoid (did i just see the silhouette of a monster? omg, ruuuun). The siren that sometimes announced bad things. All these were like a shot of adrenaline. Rather than showing you stuff, the atmosphere that Konami managed to create played with your mind. And that's, i believe, the most effective way to make you feel uneasy: let your imagination work.

Konami managed (only in the 1st Silent Hill, for me at least) to let my imagination work in their favour. They scared me with things that were implied. I wasn't scared when fighting bosses. I was scared while running through town, and in some of the locations.
evajanes
Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
There are several guide that you can use as reference,,, but I suggest that make stuff that really on to what flows. This is how we motivated when we are doing this site http://www.izombiegames.com .