top_image

<  3D Aesthetics  ~  Are Games Art? *schhhhhhhhhhh*

Auriea
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
i think if anyone ever asks that question to me again i will just point them to this discussion.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/9/10/72851/0039

it proves that it is just not a question worth asking.

BUT

when will Art be considered a Gameform? hmmmmmm??
Auriea
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:43 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
"I think that, apart from how other people may view it, I personally see what I make as being a product for sale, and not so much as a work of art. When I make a game, it's full of my own expression but ultimately the objective of the game is to make the user happy, and one thing that I'm required to do is not only create my games but also put them in the market at a time when I think people will purchase them. So while a game may contain some of my own personal expression its ultimate objective is not to convey that expression so much as to make people happy." ~shigeru miyamoto, may 16th 2003, c&vg
rossbot
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote
I most definitely consider Game Design an Art form. Art, to me, is the connection of two people- the 'creator' and the 'end user'. There are thoughts, ideas and experiences embedded in games that are offered to the end-user. How they process these emotions and interpret it logically as they play through depends on the user, but if the 'message' is passed through successfully, and the connection is made, then the user experiences happiness. At least, that's the way it is for me, as a gamer, a musician and a writer. I value my audience's opinions on my work because I want to learn to better myself at communicating my thoughts and emotions through a medium.

While expression is a huge part of the game of Game Design and making music and what have you, there are certain limitations, such as designing your game to appeal to a mass audience. The way Miyamoto has shown his skills working within these limitations leads me to believe that he is a creative and artistic genius. Making people happy is all part of the experience.
-ross
CuttingEdge
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Auriea wrote:
i think if anyone ever asks that question to me again i will just point them to this discussion.

And what is the original question, that everyone asks you?
scarecrow
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Of course it's an art. You start with a concept and create a new world just like painters, writers...etc. It's art that plays out at 60fps.