top_image

<  Bientôt l'été  ~  Multiplayer Problems?

Sissy
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Hi. Just like to start by saying that as someone who initially took an interest in ToT when I played The Path I've really liked this latest project so far, especially the atmosphere, and might even come to like it even more than The Path (which I liked a lot). I've been especially excited to get a chance to interact with another player through this sweetly strange interface.

That said, I don't seem able to do that. I'll enter the building when I see the light in the window, wait at the "Waiting for a Partner" screen, and never get a partner. Sometimes in the midst of interacting with a simulated partner I'll glance up to the corner of the screen to see a chance to press b to connect, do so, and get stuck at the waiting screen again. Once or twice I've started the simulation, then pressed b to connect, gotten bored at the waiting screen, started another simulation, only to see the b to connect prompt in the corner of the screen again, as if my alleged prospective partner is still there and I'm simply failing to reach him/her. (Pressing b again in these situations just lands me at the waiting screen again, of course.)

Is there any idea of what my problem could be? How long should the waiting screen take if there's someone out there? Is there an ideal firewall/system requirements/game settings setup for facilitating this game's multiplayer mode? Thanks in advance for any help.
ToT
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thank you for enjoying our work!

To make sure that multiplay works at all on your computer, maybe you can make a date with a friend at a specific time and turn off the firewall for the occasion. Or, if you have two computers, play with yourself, as a test.

Please let us know if you make any progress.
precipitate8
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
May contain spoilers!

Another interesting problem with multiplayer. Last night I encountered a player whose sole interaction was to repeatedly use the gun to knock over everything on the chess board. I get that this could be broadly interpreted; it seemed to lack context for substantial interpretation.

It's interesting to me that the trogs of the internet know no limits to their penetration. Griefers? Here? Really?
Grimm
Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Depending on what time it is or where you live, there might just not be anyone online at that moment. Happens to me too. I haven't met anyone yet.

Also, the firewall warning only came up after I quit the game for the first time. Make sure the game has all permissions.
Genesis
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing for about 15 days now, and NEVER met anyone in the café.

My BF and I tried to play with 2 computers, and although we were actually in the same room the game kept "looking for a partner".

We also tried to use a password and it failed.

I think that "Nous avons besoin d'aide..."
Genesis
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
hmmmmm...today, even when the window is red I can't connect to anyone, and the cafe stays empty.

I tried to connect with my BF, we were online together, we saw each other's red light but we never met in the café.

Peut-être faudrait il boire un peu moins de vin ?
Michael
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I'll have another look at multiplayer. This is notoriously difficult to test because situations differ so much. Here everything works fine all the time. And many other players have been able to connect. I can only fix problems that I actually see occurring. I you have any other information about your computer or network context that may be relevant, please do share. Thanks!
Genesis
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
well, I played this afternoon and immediately joined someone in the café !
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Is everything Ok with your server ?

On the other hand, I use Win XP and my BF uses Linux. Do you think that could explain that, although we see each other's "red light" we can't join in the game ?

(I also play the Endless Forest and it runs perfectly on my computer)
ToT
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Genesis wrote:
I use Win XP and my BF uses Linux. Do you think that could explain that, although we see each other's "red light" we can't join in the game ?

Yes!
The game was not built for Linux. Does he play in Wine? I have seen network issues in Windows PC games running in Wine.
Genesis
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
That's it, he uses Wine.

It's funny you can drink wine in the game, but can't play the game with wine.
Pirakun
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
I also have problems with the café, I can wait as long as I want to, but no one come along. so frustrating as it was the thing I wanted to try the most ! is bientôt l'été located by groups of countries or by countries? or can we meet every players in the world?
I hope that this problem will be solved, a true french count on you Wink
duckias
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
I also have problems meeting with other people in the café. On the screen, there is always "waiting for other people", but i am always alone, is there something I need to do?
Empathy
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
hi all, first post for me. Love this experience. i just never see anyone to interact with (other than the simulated construct). i have the 'extravagant' version which is real eye candy to say the least Very Happy

i have win 7 64 bit
run as admin
gave full permission through my internet security
even tried turning off firewall

i put a copy on my wifes comp and we met up very quickly, even without the password, so at least i know it works in a Lan oriented way. If it even recognizes Lan im not sure. only playing it a couple of days but would like to use my phrase wordology with others, some interesting conversations can take place with enough pieces and phrases.

i live in NY if that helps, maybe i'll try messing with time zones?
or do specific ports need to be open?, im using wi-fi with a very fast connection rate. Cool
il signor M
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
Same problem here: I cannot meet anyone in the café, even if i see the red light, even if I click B after having seen the "connect" message on the right. I tried to turn off Windows XP firewalls (as admin) but it didn't work. What should I do?
Michael
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Pirakun wrote:
is bientôt l'été located by groups of countries or by countries? or can we meet every players in the world?

You can meet anyone. There are no groups.