top_image

<  Forest Design Issues and Ideas  ~  Why do you play The Endless Forest?

Why do you play The Endless Forest?

I just ran into it and wanted to try it...  
10%
  [ 4 ]  10%

I like deer!  
12%
  [ 5 ]  12%

I like games with nature in them, it makes me feel free.  
35%
  [ 14 ]  35%

I get the sence of being in nature, wich I rarely get to experience in the real world.  
10%
  [ 4 ]  10%

It makes me forget about the real world and releaves stress.  
32%
  [ 13 ]  32%

Total Votes : 40
Leenpeen
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone! Smile

I joined the forum and the game just recently after I heard of it in class.
I'm a student at an Art school in The Netherlands and a teacher was telling me about games and he brought up The Endless Forest because it has been made with a completely different concept unlike most MMORPGs these days.
Instead of needing to gain experience to level and get better like in most other MMORPGs, The Endless Forest purely relies on....relaxing, beeing free and being in nature..
Since i have played alot of MMORPGs myself and I am doing research on what attracks people to virtual worlds for my thesis, I would like to ask you why you chose to play a game like The Endless Forest over a game like EVE or WOW or any other MMORPG.
What attracked you about this game?
And is it maybe possible that people long for a new sort of world where they can roam around without a care in the world and get the feeling they are back in touch with nature, unlike our modern real world where we live under pressure everyday?

Thank you!
Looking forward to your replies!Smile
Raz
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
I don't play anymore...however:

I used to play because it was pretty much because I'd seen art of it on DA by a friend of mine known as Hal. It picked my interest because her character looked kinda cool, so I downloaded the game.
I liked the game back then because it was peaceful, there was no chat filled with noobs begging or demanding things, there were fewer on, the surroundings were pretty, there was no drama and you could just sit there and watch/listen to the forest. You weren't required to complete anything, solve anything, do anything XD
The game really is something unique once users get past the human face aspect, trying to communicate via actions and the emotes always ended up being a partial challenge to try to get what you wanted from another deer.
I also liked the Anonymity of your deer just being identified by a picto, although that kind of changed when the Community Site came in. You didn't know the name of the user you'd be playing with, it'd just be your deer and their deer playing around regardless of player.
And finally there's the unique TEF games and other silliness that would go on, like trying to waterwalk, flying and then dressing eachother up as peacocks and then doing that to unsuspecting sleeping deer <_< >_>
Leenpeen
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Raz!
I can imagine that this came is peaceful for a number of reasons and mainly because you do not HAVE to do anything.
I have some more questions that came up when reading your reply....I hope you can and are willing to answer them for me ^^;
So when you played TEF, was it a sort of way out from the hecktick real world and you every day life?
And why did you eventually quit? Did it start to bore you or was there another reason?
The sence of nature around you ingame was obviously playing a big part; do you miss nature around you in real life and was playing TEF making up for the urge we as humans have to be in nature?
And if you play other MMORPGs, do you also perfer the ones with nature, or doesn't that matter in other games?
Are there times you miss playing TEF?

Thanks again! ^^

Looking forward to your reply!
Raz
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
No problem Very Happy

So when you played TEF, was it a sort of way out from the hecktick real world and you every day life?
Yeah, not sure how to elaborate on it but yeah it was XD.

And why did you eventually quit? Did it start to bore you or was there another reason?
It didn't start to bore me. I quit because of personal reasons. It's a very long drama filled story and I apologise, that I won't reveal in a public place. Although I will say, that TEF went from relaxing and fun to play, to incredibly stressful and seeing certain players would make me angry. No point in playing if the game makes you feel such a way.

The sence of nature around you ingame was obviously playing a big part; do you miss nature around you in real life and was playing TEF making up for the urge we as humans have to be in nature?
I'm not sure...I guess so kinda. Because where I live, we have no pineforests or anything remotely like that around my house. I live close to a beach XD.

And if you play other MMORPGs, do you also perfer the ones with nature, or doesn't that matter in other games?
Doesn't really matter for me.

Are there times you miss playing TEF?
Yeah, I miss the forest a lot. I still want to go back in and run around, but I can't because I know the moment I go in, I'll end up seeing someone I hate and it will spoil it for me. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not the old forest anymore.
Leenpeen
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks again for the reply Raz ^^

I understand you wouldn't be willing to post personal stuff on this forum Very Happy no problem!
Well this might seem like the oddest question of all... but what would you do/think if a world like TEF could be real? Maybe not in that form, but maybe like a virtual world where you can be what ever you want and where ever you want to be? It could have all the possible surroundings that we would be able to generate in that virtual world.

This because there is a big possibility human kind will eventually continue life in digital form and probably in a virtual world of some sort. So the reason I'm asking is because the virtual world we will live in, if it happens, will probably look alot like our own world like it is now. But since there is no limit, still, to our imagination and virtual enviroments, we could life and be anything we would like to be. Much like MMORPGS....
Would that idea atrackt you or repel you?

Thanks again ^^
Raz
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
but what would you do/think if a world like TEF could be real? Maybe not in that form, but maybe like a virtual world where you can be what ever you want and where ever you want to be? It could have all the possible surroundings that we would be able to generate in that virtual world.
Technically, that's kind of what TEF was. Originally back in the old days everyone was "themselves" so to speak. But now it's rare to find "self" deer...I think, I'm not sure. Back when I was still playing it was like that.
I don't think that's what you meant though XD
Virtual reality would be fun, although it would get boring after a while being able to just give yourself what you want and having nothing to challenge you.

Would that idea atrackt you or repel you?
I'm not sure, it'd definately be an interesting idea. It'd definately be taking MMOs to a new level. It'd be breaking out of the "sit behind pc" mold.
I think it'd be something I'd have to try before giving a definite answer.
Mokoro
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote
My roomate told me about this game while we were discussing independent MMOs, and I've been playing it for a few days now. It's very nice! For me, it's a great way to relax. I have a hard time dealing with stress and pressure, especially since I'm also an art student. Heh....

I think something that happens in the game design of The Endless Forest is a pleasant immersion in the environment. While puzzles and opponents that are stimulating and interesting can be highly intriguing in a game, I think it's even more important that you give your player that feeling of being in a unique and captivating world. Running through the forest and exploring the game mechanics in TEF is very soothing, and sometimes I put my deer to sleep and leave the game on, so I can read a book to the pleasant sound design. There's a good mysterious feeling about it. I think "less is more" seems to apply to Tale of Tales' game designs.

TEF doesn't have the content quantity of other games, so it doesn't replace them; but it doesn't really try to. It's a lovely experience all its own, and I hope it continues to grow!
DoeADeer
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
Huh! Can I pick all of the options? Wink Hehehe
PyroDoe
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I started because I saw the beautiful fanart on DeviantArt, and the characters and environments are so beautiful. I used to be a hardcore gamer way back in the day, but nowadays I don't have the money or funds nor the attention span or wish to play 'traditional' video games, I'm kind of done with competing, high scores, etc.
I love Endless Forest because its not like that; it's peaceful, it's relaxing, it's not hostile or competitive... you don't have to spend hours trying to kill something/someone or get a high score. I work a lot now and I'm just not that kind of gamer anymore.... Endless Forest is like a vacation for me, and it provides a lot of inspiration for my art.
jader7777
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
It's a nice quiet game to have running on a second monitor. I like to look at it periodically and see what's in the forest.

Also it's sort of enchanting to hear the forest ambiance.