top_image

<  Forest Tips and Cheats  ~  Technical Help

Lyrak
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
For a long time now I've had issues with graphics-heavy games, always having to turn my settings down to use them. Now, I oculd have sworn at some point I was told that my graphics card type does not have openGL support (at least I think that's what they claimed it didn't support, but maybe I'm wrong... all I know about openGL is that a lot of 3D stuff needs it). But as I went to start up my screen saver, I stumbled across this:

Now, what I want help on is, are there settings on that I should change to make the Forest perform better? Or is it smartest just to leave my settings at the default?

(Also if anybody plays SecondLife who has any tips toward that direction I'd appreciate them, but TEF is more important since I can't run SL from dialup anyway lol).
Moogie
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like an onboard graphics chipset to me, which doesn't suprise me that you experience difficulty running games. It's basically graphics for people who don't have a graphics card at all (which means the computer is either pretty old, or was quite a bargain at the store). Smile

I couldn't recommend that any of those settings will drastically increase performance. Instead, I'd advise that your DirectX version is up to date and your chipset drivers are fully up to date.
Lyrak
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Moogie wrote:
Looks like an onboard graphics chipset to me, which doesn't suprise me that you experience difficulty running games. It's basically graphics for people who don't have a graphics card at all (which means the computer is either pretty old, or was quite a bargain at the store). Smile

I couldn't recommend that any of those settings will drastically increase performance. Instead, I'd advise that your DirectX version is up to date and your chipset drivers are fully up to date.

Drat. XD I was hoping anyhow.

In any case, the computer isn't all that old. It was just a cheapish one my parents found for me, before I understood about graphics cards (ie: before anybody dragged me onto anything 3D lol). Unfortunately I also only have PCI slots (not pci-e or whatever the other kind are), which I'm told means I won't be able to get the top-of-the-line cards anyway. :\ Can't afford a new computer, though even when I do someday there's that whole vista thing..... I want to cling to my XP. lol
Zules
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2007 Posts: 1016 Location: Hijacking your threads!
Lyrak wrote:
Moogie wrote:

Drat. XD I was hoping anyhow.

In any case, the computer isn't all that old. It was just a cheapish one my parents found for me, before I understood about graphics cards (ie: before anybody dragged me onto anything 3D lol). Unfortunately I also only have PCI slots (not pci-e or whatever the other kind are), which I'm told means I won't be able to get the top-of-the-line cards anyway. :\ Can't afford a new computer, though even when I do someday there's that whole vista thing..... I want to cling to my XP. lol

Ew I know. I just got a new vista computer and I really would like my XP back... but that computer wouldn't be able to support TEF at ALL so I wouldn't be here anyways.
Good luck figuring out a solution, if there is one D: I know nothing of graphics cards.
Michael
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
OpenGL setting will not affect The Endless Forest at all because it uses DirectX and not OpenGL to access your hardware.

You might still be able to find a reasonable PCI videocard. But it'll probably cost more than a PCI-Express one. But before you do, check and make sure that your machine doesn't have an AGP slot. Those are pretty fast too.
Lyrak
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
OpenGL setting will not affect The Endless Forest at all because it uses DirectX and not OpenGL to access your hardware.

You might still be able to find a reasonable PCI videocard. But it'll probably cost more than a PCI-Express one. But before you do, check and make sure that your machine doesn't have an AGP slot. Those are pretty fast too.

I've checked the specs for my model online like a dozen times hoping it will magically be different. lol

If I had an AGP slot I have a friend who had an extra card he had offered to send me for free (old one he's not using anymore, but still better than mine lol) before we looked up my computer to check the thing.
jnts732
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Nov 2011 Posts: 23 Location: Amugst the Blue Berries
ok i have both a Direct X chip and a OpenGL chip and the forest still runs choppy and slow O_o
Raz
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
It could also be your internet.