top_image

<  Suggestions  ~  The videogame and its revolutionary potentials.

Giulio
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
I read the Realtime Art Manifesto, and I find it very interesting, but I would some clarification:
You say that the real-time 3D is a unique and innovative medium that is not inspired by any other medium, but rather is inspired by real life. I agree with this opinion, and on the other hand I also read other opinions and articles explaining that the video game (or more generally, the real-time 3D) is a medium apart from other media, with a unique feature: interactivity .

But, I have a doubt: the live role-playing game ( or RPG live), not has the same potential as the Realtime 3D? Like interactivity?
So, why You (and many others) say that the videogame (or Realtime 3D medium) is a unique compared to other mediums?
I need some clarifications, please.

Thank you and see you soon!
Giulio
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hey, none would answer on my questions?!
Michael
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Our manifesto is not a statement of facts. It's an expression of desire and ambition. We feel that it is important to figure out what is unique about this new medium. Because we think it may be necessary to exploit these unique qualities to get the most out of the medium.

Interactivity is not unique to the computer as such. Many non-computer games, as you point out, are also interactive. And even something as simple as a conversation is interactive too. But these are not media! The computer offers us the only medium that is interactive!

Furthermore, I would like to point out that, technically, the interactivity is simply a result of a deeper and more essential property of the computer: procedurality, or its capacity to actively create realities. Interactivity is merely a way for a human to interfere with this process.
Giulio
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks for the clarifications!
Bye, bye!
Simmy
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Hi!

Excuse me: I have a question ,if the GDR live is not a medium; because reality is not a medium. Are the GDR (pen and paper) and also tabletop games in general a media? Or not?
And why you Michael says that the non-computer interactive games aren't a medium?

Thanks very much;

See you soon! Smile
Giulio
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ummm... I also think that reality is not a medium, although i'm not sure. But for the GDR (pen and paper) i think that it is a medium like books and films.

But honestly I'm not sure, so the only one who can help us to clarify these doubts I think it is Michael or others expert in this topic.

Bye, bye!
See you soon...
Simmy
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh ok, thanks Giulio.

So, I wait for a better and more accurate answer from Michael or others people with more knowledge on this topics.

See you soon...