top_image

<  3D Aesthetics  ~  Contemporary artists and games

deadwilder
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote
It would be nice to talk about contemporary artists that use games as a media to make their work. Personally, I don't know about any artists that presented a game they've created as an art work in actual physical, standard, exhibitions.

I've seen some that use footage of games in their works, but sometimes I feel that's closer to video than to actual gaming.

It would be nice to talk about this and maybe get to know some artists that are working with games and being able to present them at the art world as actual works of art.
Terabetha
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
My school (the Ontario Collage of Art and Design University) has courses for game design and last year did a show. Sadly none of the pieces I saw pitch themselves as artworks. Mind you, game production takes many of the same skills as creating an artwork, creative and unconventional thinking, as well as talent and skills, but it seems game designers are more eager to label their creations as games as opposed to art.

Tale of Tales are really the first studio I've come across more concerned with making art through games than making artistic games.
deadwilder
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
One problem I have with media arts is that sometimes the artists will make works that are basically only media.

I've been to a few art and technology symposiums that are mainly composed by works that have very little actual art in them. Rudely generalizing, they're creatively built machines. But apart from that, they don't really speak about anything else. I feel they are great ways to express thoughts and feelings, but 95% of what I've seen don't really transmit anything, they're just fancy/creative machines which could be used as a language (media) to transmit something, but don't.
Michael
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
There's many fine artists who use/abuse/appropriate video games in their work (Cory Arcangel, Miltos Manetas, 01.org, Jodi, etc). Their work is shown in galleries and museums because it's fine art.

But video games are not fine art. They are a new art form. They are more similar to film or even television in terms of distribution. They are more similar to literature in terms of experience. And they are more similar to architecture in terms of non-linearity.

Yet there's been many exhbitions of video games. Our work has been included in many. Usually such exhibitions consist of a bunch of computers that run the games. It's not an ideal situation to play, but it can help introduce the work to people who are unfamiliar with video games.