top_image

<  Forest Problems and Bugs  ~  Unable to Uninstall/Start Up TEF

ArrowDoe
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT] HUZZAH! I AM TRIUMPHANT... kinda.
I've got TEF to work now (thank the Gods) but none of my spelldata works. Is it corrupted do you think?

Last night I installed the new beta of the forest. It was a dream, but when I went to uninstall it, I accidentally uninstalled my old forest. (Version 3.31)
I thought nothing of it and uninstalled the beta as well- then went and downloaded v3.31 from the download page...

When I opened the application, there were no graphics besides the deer and the ground. No trees, no grasses, nothing. I brought up the Menu and clicked on 'Display', but when I tried to change anything, it wouldn't register. None of the check boxes were clickable and the slides didn't bring up any of the graphics.
I uninstalled again, restarted, then repeated.
My mom ran a system restore after that, and this morning I had to see if it worked.
All I get is 'Unable to locate ....' messages. The forest won't even try to start up.

I tried to uninstall it, but it said that no uninstall data could be found, therefore TEF could not be uninstalled.

Help? D; This has never happened to me before.

Last edited by ArrowDoe on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Scape
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Feb 2008 Posts: 4154 Location: Sleeping Amongst the Dragonflies
Did you try deleting the folder it was located in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ArrowDoe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Yes.
Scape
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Do you have Vista or Windows 7? I think Moss/Nine said something about having to delete in Compatibility Files too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ArrowDoe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
I have Vista, though when I try clicking on anything to do with the TEF files- it says that it no longer exists, though I can clearly see the file in my start menu.
Scape
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
Did you try a system restore to an even earlier date than what was tried before? D=?
ArrowDoe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
My mom came home at lunch and did /another/ system restore to a date before the one we did last night. It still doesn't work.
Scape
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Did you try using a registry repair program like CCleaner?
Raz
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
I know when I was trying to uninstall/reinstall I had issues. In the end I had to manually search out and delete the old files, make sure the system was wiped completely of TEF files (minus the screenies which I cut and pasted elsewhere) before reinstalling.
Ourania
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ccleaner might help. It will delete unused file extensions. It's free and updates /a LOT/. Click on Registry and scan for issues. It will ask you if you want to back up your registry first, always a good idea to do so. Good luck <3
ArrowDoe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Is there any other way besides CCleaner? I don't think my mom would approve of that at the moment...
Scape
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
It won't damage anything if that's what you're worried about. I use it all the time and it's helped my PC run quicker by getting rid of useless files I didn't delete (or couldn't find) after uninstalling programs.
Moogie
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
She wouldn't approve of a program specifically designed to clean your system and make it run smoothly? Is she also against antivirus programs and firewalls? Smile Gosh parents can be awkward sometimes, lol.
ArrowDoe
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Moogie wrote:
She wouldn't approve of a program specifically designed to clean your system and make it run smoothly? Is she also against antivirus programs and firewalls? Smile Gosh parents can be awkward sometimes, lol.

Moogie, I never said she was against any of that (:
I'm saying that she pretty much doesnt trust me with the computer right now, so she wont even let me try to reinstall TEF. She put up some more spyware stuff to keep the computer safe. =/
Michael
Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Moogie wrote:

Careful! A lot of these programs that are supposed to help, are actually malware themselves! So parents who are cautious are right.

Before you install anything, at least do a Google search with the name of the program and the word "malware" or "virus" or something. If the application is bad, chances are other users have mentioned this somewhere.