top_image

<  Fatale  ~  First impression (includes Spoilers)

Dreamcube017
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I also forgot to log in. The above post is from me.
atomtengeralattjaro
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
i loved this piece of art.

I've heard about the story of Salomé but never read anything about it so i didn't know much about it.. however i still recognized "who am i" in the first scene.

Looking back, the first scene was my favorite. I was just blown away by the music and looking up at the dancing Salomé from a cistern.. amazing. The whole thing was so mysterious, and i felt like i was in a novel.

The second part was great too, although when putting out the last lights, it kinda got a little boring because it lost its novelty after a while. About the modern elements, the guitar amp made me smile, and i just didn't know what to think of the ipod. In general, the connecting with the modern world thing didn't quite catch me, only when i heard street noise.

The dancing was good. I loved the coreography, the music, and the entire setting, but (maybe it's just me), i would've liked it more if she had more clothes on.. dunno why.

In the end, i was a tiny tiny tiny bit disappointed: i would've liked more. More in play length, not necessarily more actual playing, but it's good if you can do someting in a game, other than look around. After all it is very interesting how you can blend active gameplay with passive audiovisual experience. The whole game was very interesting, and at some points i could totally "get into it".

I especially liked the music throughout the entire game. I love the works of Jarboe anyway Smile
Thank you Tale of Tales, this was an amazing experience, and i really hope to play more of your games. I'd encourage you to use old stories/novels or even poems as a base, it's really interesting to play a game that is also an "inner journey".
Hey why don't you make a game about Jim Jarmusch's new film "The Limits of Control"? Razz
shojakka
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Nov 2009 Posts: 148 Location: RI, USA (teehee, acronyms)
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:
i loved this piece of art.
i would've liked it more if she had more clothes on.. dunno why.

In the end, i was a tiny tiny tiny bit disappointed: i would've liked more. More in play length, not necessarily more actual playing, but it's good if you can do something in a game, other than look around.
I especially liked the music throughout the entire game. I love the works of Jarboe anyway Smile
Tale of Tales had to stay true to the time period this was based on, so the whole "almost no clothes on" thing just wasn't considered something remarkable during that time and wasn't really a concern that the women went topless, just as it isn't strange when a man takes off his shirt. really, the game isn't meant to go through quickly to get to the end, you're supposed to stop and look and admire every small detail and absorb it all, had you been there in real life there wouldn't have been a whole lot of action either. Maybe I'm just getting too defensive 'cause I love the game so much, but I find these things to be quite true. btw, jarboe didn't compose any of the music in Fatale, look at the credits on the game page for Fatale and it says who composed the music
atomtengeralattjaro
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
ok Smile thanks for the reply
shojakka wrote:
really, the game isn't meant to go through quickly to get to the end, you're supposed to stop and look and admire every small detail and absorb it all, had you been there in real life there wouldn't have been a whole lot of action either.

i didn't run through it Smile i just said it left me wanting more.
shojakka wrote:
btw, jarboe didn't compose any of the music in Fatale, look at the credits on the game page for Fatale and it says who composed the music

i know that the dance music was made by someone else, Gerry de Mol, but Jarboe did "ambient music, sound and whispering" with Kris Force. Anyways, i love all the sounds i hear in the game, regardless of who made them Smile
shojakka
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Nov 2009 Posts: 148 Location: RI, USA (teehee, acronyms)
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:
ok Smile thanks for the reply
shojakka wrote:
really, the game isn't meant to go through quickly to get to the end, you're supposed to stop and look and admire every small detail and absorb it all, had you been there in real life there wouldn't have been a whole lot of action either.

i didn't run through it Smile i just said it left me wanting more.
shojakka wrote:
btw, jarboe didn't compose any of the music in Fatale, look at the credits on the game page for Fatale and it says who composed the music

i know that the dance music was made by someone else, Gerry de Mol, but Jarboe did "ambient music, sound and whispering" with Kris Force. Anyways, i love all the sounds i hear in the game, regardless of who made them Smile

Surprised a lot of quotes... anyways, didn't know about the music thing and guess just mis-interpretted what you said about gameplay Surprised
K
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
My first impression after "finishing" Fatale is a feeling of surprise. I find this game doubly subversive (although I am not sure whether this goes along the lines predicted by its authors). It always seemed very difficult to me to empathize with John the Baptist. Of course, he is the "good guy" but it is not easy to like someone so stiff and ascetic, and here additionally we follow Wilde who made him also kind of misogynist. But then during the main (in terms of complexity and time spent) terrace sequence I got a strong feeling that it is actually poor beheaded Jokanaan who is the only living soul there and the others, while still breathing, are cold and long dead. And this is him only who after switching off all the lights may proceed to the rising day while Salome and co. remain closed in an eternal trap of the moonlit terrace (which I cannot help but to connect in my memory with another moonlight scenery - from the great Bulgakov's novel "Master and Margarita").

In other words I read "Fatale" as advocating Jokanaan's choice and refuting Wilde's diagnosis. I did not expect it.
Michael
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Nice interpretation, K.

We very much wanted to explore how Jokanaan could have felt after he was relieved of his duties as a prophet. Maybe his beheading, as you also suggest, comes as a liberation to him.
K
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps at the end Jokanaan does free Salome as well, in the act of grace, so that she can join him on the bright side, the way Bulgakov's Pontius Pilate was finally spared and allowed to follow his victim, Yeshua Ha-Nozri...