top_image

<  Fatale  ~  Toughts after playing FATALE

Femme Fatale
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading Oscar Wilde's play and after re-living FATALE for a second time I think I'm ready to express how the whole of the experience has been and how it felt to me (not exclusively the experience with FATALE, but with the tale of Salomé through and thanks to FATALE).

I have to thank you what you did here, Michaël and Auriea. Instead of giving us an adaptation, a version of Oscar Wilde's Salomé, you decided to give us a counterpart to his work, better said, a complement. Something that fits with what we already lived (or were going to live, in my particular case) and, at the same time, adds another dimension and invigorates, upgrades and enhances the narration. I think you have been respectful with Wilde's legacy, but simultaneously you offered something with his own light and that exists on his own. This, the fact that you succeded on crafting your own particular esence AND, at the same time the Wilde's one is totally worthy of admiration, gratification and respect.

I find the expressive richness absolutely impressive. FATALE is kind of short compared with what we usually find on interactive medium but very few games made me feel with so intensity as your work did.

I don't know what else to say. I feel like I'm in debt with you, I really really enjoyed FATALE and Salomé's story.
Welks
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Whoops! Forgot to log in >_<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Emriss
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
I REALLY need to find a recording of the play. While I found FATALE delightfully atmospheric, I felt like my brain was hitting a steel wall when it came to what any of it meant. ><
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thank you, Welks. Smile
Ulysses
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
After buying Fatale and playing it several times over I have to say Fatale is worth every cent. I know it's not meant to be played as a game or to be thought of as a game, which can be a double-edged sword when interpreting this game (?). However, looking past the mechanics it's obvious there's more to Fatale than just Salome, the dance and even the death of John.

Personally, it's rare to find games (yes, I'm using that word again) that evoke thoughts beyond your usual boundaries as well as your emotions. Hell, it's rare to play games where they make you want to find the source material or sources of inspiration just so you can get a good grasp of what the authors/developers were trying to convey.

Fatale is different to The Path in many ways, but different is a good thing depending on your point of view. It took me a while to fully understand the intent behind Fatale (despite my initial reservations because, as a game, it fails) and, I have to say, the more I thought about it, the more I realised just how intensely profound this game is and how much it truly has to offer both intellectually and emotionally.

I think you guys have done an excellent job on this project and I'm glad to have paid $7 for it. I will write an indepth review on RYG (reclaimyourgame.com) when I get the chance. I hope you guys keep making more thought-provoking projects masked as 'indie games' because they are just so refreshing. (Wishes his english classes back in high school had games such as these).

Kind Regards,

-Ulysses
EvilSeedlet
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, After a lot of thought about the game, I think I would give it a 7 out of 10. It is very beautiful and mysterious, and I *am* left with the feeling you get after walking out of a museum or a fantasy movie of still partially stuck in the strange world, trying to convert myself back to the real one. However I have gotten that feeling from other video games as well (Fable, as an example), it's not really special to Fatale.

Also, while the story I draw from it is an amazing one I still feel slightly (just a little) .. let down? In some way? It was very short, and sometimes the whispers are a little hard to make out. I feel like I may have liked it more if there was a little bit more interacting I could do or.. I'm not really sure. It just feels like it's missing *something*

I guess it may be the point that it's not as interactive as it is eye candy, but I feel like.. maybe the interactives were just an excuse to show off something very pretty? They didn't really add too much to the experience of the game.. like I may have gotten the same feeling if just tossed in with a camera I could position anywhere, like the candles weren't really necessary at all. And extra things with no reasons in games are usually looked down upon.

My final thought I guess would be while I understand the concept of playable art (and love it), sometimes it's not enough to just have a very beautiful concept and surroundings. I would like to be immersed a little more in the world of Salome without just looking into it from the outside. The best way to experience something is to *experience* it, not just look at it.

..And after all of that, I am still going to say I loved it, Very worth the money paid and time spent. I will probably go back and replay it now and again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Ulysses. Surprised
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
Thank you, EvilSeedlet. I actually agree with a lot of your points (although I don't think these issues are as damning as you do -I'd give Fatale higher marks Wink ). Fatale is an experiment. An experiment with a format of realtime 3D that we wanted to play with. As opposed to The Path, we didn't care much about the audience when creating Fatale. We simply followed our instincts and had very little playtesting. That too, was an experiment, I guess. Smile
Euphony
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, though I'm sorry to say I liked the game much better than the Wilde play. The idea is more interesting than the actual play itself, I suppose.

Waiting in the Cistern was a creepy experience, though the glimpses of Salome up above were intriguing, and the death was frightening.

As others have mentioned, getting used to the controls was a little bit difficult. But I enjoyed the serenity of the terrace, the calmness of putting out the lights. Salome's solemn stance at the balcony. Seeing my own (John's) head next to her was disconcerting.

Salome's dance was totally worth buying the whole game for. What a beautiful piece of animation! One thing I love best about the ToT games is how well they depict body language. I wasn't too happy about seeing through the eyes of a pervy old man Razz but I can understand why he would give her anything she asked for after that!

I'm interested in studying female character archetypes, and Salome may be one of the original "femme fatale" (after Lilith that is). In the Bible, she seems to be a naive girl who simply wants to please her mother by asking for John the Baptist's decapitation--she does not understand the consequence of her actions. The play is about desire, looking and wanting. The desire of the young men for Solome, the desire of the king, and Solome's desire for John the Baptist. Though the play does not really cast him in a positive light, in my opinion. I honestly liked Herodias the best out of all the characters. She seemed at least somewhat sensible.

I don't quite know how to see Solome: as a bitter, rejected girl who uses other's attraction to her to get revenge? The game makes her a bit more sympathetic, I think. She was not killed right away, as in the play, so she has time to feel sorrow and remorse for what happened.

It's a rather ambiguous story, just what I've come to expect from ToT.
edgy1004
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
I have been playing Fatale for about a month and it is wonderful. I read the play before I purchased the game and it was very helpful. Tonight I was browsing the blog and I found the reference to one of Caravaggio's "John the BAptist in the Wilderness" paintings. I am from Kansas and I make it a point to visit my John the Baptist every year or so at Nelson-Atkins.

I do have one question, What do the V5 and SI mean in the circle when you are putting out lights?

Tale of Tales, if you put out a game every month I would buy it. [/url]
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
edgy1004 wrote:
I do have one question, What do the V5 and SI mean in the circle when you are putting out lights?

They're just short names for the scenes. Very mundane. Not important.

edgy1004 wrote:
Tale of Tales, if you put out a game every month I would buy it.

Thank you!
I wish we could put out a game every month. Then we might actually get to the end of our list of ideas before we die! Wink