top_image

<  Writing & Interface Design  ~  Human Factors Methods Project: Diorama Game

Redkora
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Remember that survey some of you took a few months ago? Well, that was to create a user profile to help me develop a diorama game for my Human Factors Methods class. We had to design a product based on user feedback. We had to do a user profile, task analysis, a prototype, user testing, and write a final report.

What you see here is a prototype of a diorama flash game that I made in PowerPoint with a macro that allows one to drag and drop items. It is a screenshot of only one of the biomes of the Nature Diorama game. Right now, it includes the Forest, Desert, and Savanna biomes with animals and plants to manipulate. The buttons on the bottom "glow" when you're at the diorama biome.

In case you're curious, human factors is a domain that blends principles of cognitive psychology and engineering and applies these principles to design with early and frequent focus on the users' needs. More information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_factors. I am currently working on my Master's in Human Factors and Ergonomics/Applied Cognitive Psychology.

I am thinking of doing another iteration of this design and doing more user testing. After that, I might put it on the Internet and invite user feedback.

Here is a screenshot of one of the diorama screens. Keep in mind that this is a prototype:

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu128/Redkora/eco1.jpg

Also, if you are interested, I can send you the final report. It's pretty big, as it is 75 pages long.
Michael
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Great idea! Smile
Hope you can make this some day.
Redkora
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Michael!

I would like to make it. I just have to get the hang of the Flash software that I have (SWiSH). Flash is waaaaaay too expensive for me right now. Sad
Michael
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
If you don't mind working in 3D, you could use Unity. The "indie" version is free
Redkora
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's cool! Thanks for the link and your support!