top_image

<  Writing & Interface Design  ~  Storyspace

Auriea
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:00 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
We had a *very* difficult time finding a good tool with which to write our game scenario. Rather than end up in the position of having millions of pieces of paper taped to the wall we went on the hunt for a nonlinear writing program. This turned out to be more difficult than we thought it would be. There is not an abundance of information available online about this topic either so we can only guess how other game developers handle this part of the process. We thought about using standard screenwriters software or just using HTML or writing our own app in Director ... but in the end we found a hypertext writers app which seems to be doing the trick quite well called Storyspace: http://www.eastgate.com/Storyspace.html

It is available for Mac and Windows and is more or less cross platform so we can share files. The Windows version could use an update to bring its interfaces into the new millenium but overall we have been able to use it to write the scnario with no problem. In the end , as one can see if one has access to the private area of Tale of Tales we exported the whole thing as HTML and one can do a click-through of the game story and get info on objects, details about characters etc. hyperlinking is a good way of getting the feel for the possible paths one can take through our non-linear storyline. But y'know this was the only application out there we could find that works in this way.... strange that there aren't more.
rossbot
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:15 am Reply with quote
Hrmm..I was reading a magazine and tripped over this:
http://www.write-brain.com/power_writer_main.htm

Dunno if that's of any interest to you..It seems like the same idea, writing for writers, rather than secretaries. Hell, even secretaries could get something out of non-linear typing. I myself operate all over the place, on all kinds of levels, so I could really use something like this. It's a shame Storyspace costs so much money though. Hrm.
-ross
Auriea
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:55 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
yeah it is a shame Storyspace costs so much :-/ i think it does because it is basically a very niche project made by a small team.

Hey, we are having trouble reaching you, your email address is bouncing messages back at us. We wanted to tell you something.......
http://www.tale-of-tales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156
markfrancombe
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmm Im posting alot around your forum today!

The last post here was 2003, I guess things have moved on by now. But I am still looking for what you were talking about here... The Storyspace looks good (still looking a little under-developed however) but still rather expensive..

Sad

My games work has so far been done in a Wiki, as it is a collaboration between 2 people living on the other side of the world from each other, we needed a write and discuss medium. This has worked very well, with each page starting with a post of a room /area/ concept/ or issue or the game, and then we have commented backwards and forwards underneath, updating the original post as we agree on changes, additions.

But now the game has got so big, that I needed a "visio" look of it, to draw game flow and possibilities. (A criteria for me was that there should always be more than ONE way to do something or get somewhere, to avoid the getting stuck problem. This is best visualised in a flow diagram.

I found Gliffy... a pretty flow diagram drawing program with kinds of font/coloure possibilities, with ONE nice addition... the name of each box in the flow, can be a URL. So I have simply made a flow chart, linked its boxes to the Wiki pages we already have, and THEN posted the completed diagram on the Wiki. (nope... as a jpg Im afraid) the jpg does update as I change the diagram, but there are no html or flash! export possibilities from Gliffy (at least not the free version) so its not completely perfect.. but does for now.

Mark