top_image

<  Programming  ~  Server Ineraction

ika
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
hi ! this is my first post around. I really admire the project ! I d like to try to work in that direction as well. I am a game developper from Montreal. I was wonder how does the server connectivity works. I have some basic features in my games that reads some datas on my server using a system similar to xml. But it's too slow to be real time, I was wondering if anyone had an alternative ? : D !!

Thanksy ^_^
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thank you. And welcome!

The Endless Forest is made with Quest3D, which uses DirectX for just about everything. So the networking happens through DirectPlay. It's realtime and rather fast. The trickiest part is compensating for network lag (luckily The Endless Forest is not a racing game Wink ).
ika
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
damn sometimes i just wish i had a pc for developpement ^_^;

have you ever heard of rails ? I know i can t use direct play and directx , but i heard ruby o rail was a quick way to talk to a database. Embarassed

hey i saw you guys tested a version on a mac computer, would it be possible to make it public so people with fast computers can run it and maybe source so people can make optimised builds for mac : D !!
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
For the realtime stuff, we don't go through a database at all. The data is just sent directly to the clients.

The version that we got to run on Mac is the same as the one that runs on Windows. We used an application called Crossover, I think. But Parallels should be able to do this soon, as well.
ika
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
directly to the clients ? mhmm okay i never even though of that, for your game it works but i suppose it would usually run on a database to keep player statistics.

Crossover supports directX ? I use parallels and it doesnt support it yet.

Sorry for the dumb question, I didnt had in mind you were using quest3d for the compiling. Thanks for so kindly awnsering my questions Micheal Very Happy !

Laughing