top_image

<  Fatale  ~  Did I play this game correctly?

FunkyVerb
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Fatale is extremely monotonous. I don't understand why Tale of Tales would make something like this.

I mean, it was interesting, but it took way too long to finish. There were far too many candles to blow out.

I know that games by Tale of Tales are very slow, but in my opinion, this is their only game in which the slowness doesn't work. The first time I played The Graveyard, I was expecting something to pop out at me while the old lady was walking to the bench. That anticipation kept me engaged. In The Path, the player kept coming across interesting things to get them thinking, and even if they weren't thinking, the scariness kept them interested.

But that's not how Fatale works. I wasn't anticipating anything, and any symbolism that's in the game is way too vague for me to interpret. Maybe I just don't have the "artistic" mindset, I don't know.

I enjoyed the part in the cellar because it provided an interesting perspective on the story and was kinda creepy. But I got absolutely no enjoyment out of the terrace scene.

For those of you who liked the terrace scene, please tell me why you enjoyed it.
rinku
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
i liked it because of the interesting control scheme, and just the visual beauty of it. but i agree that the number of candles felt somewhat excessive to me though -- i also would have preferred more "stages" than just three (the prison, the terrace, the dance), since it felt a bit short. but it didn't bother me that much, i still enjoyed the experience as a whole.

another thing they could have included was the full text of the play, since it's in the public domain anyway, might as well offer it in the game for reading as background material (an option on the title screen or something). that might have let people get familiar with the story without having to go hunt it down online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We have had "Include full text of play" on our To Do list throughout the production! Laughing But it never rose to the priority where it actually happened. Fatale was created in just 4 months, 2 of which were "messed up" by Summer holiday activities.

For me, the repetition in the second scene is a form of a ritual. When I play it, to me it feels like John is saying goodbye. Goodbye to the world. In a way it's the other side of the coin of a poem by Paul van Ostaijen (super famous in Belgium and the Netherlands but probably completely unknown to anyone else). It's called "Marc groet 's morgens de dingen" (Marc says hello to things in the morning) and it's about a young boy who wakes up in the morning and, basically, greets life. Fatale is about an old man who dies in the evening and says goodbye.
Seed
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 Posts: 502 Location: In UR Brainz, bee'n a deerz
My favorite thing about the second part was I got to do things, which changed things. The Prophet has more power to change the world around him in life than he does in death.