top_image

<  Non-computer games  ~  Once Upon a Time: Storytelling as game, no computer required

Le Lapin
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
I've long wanted to tell Auriea and Michaël about this card game of which I bought a copy some months ago, though have only played a handful of times as it's one of the more epic-feeling and mentally taxing of the non-computer games I've purchased in my recent rediscovery of them (not "taxing" in a way which is unenjoyable – perhaps "exhilarating" is a more accurate term, though I find it to be one which always reads as hyperbole – but nevertheless in a manner which takes some time to recover from). This is the section about it in the original publisher's Web site:
http://www.atlas-games.com/onceuponatime

Heidi of SurLaLune Fairy Tales has recommended it as well:
http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/bookstore/games.html

Perhaps of particular relevance is how, in their essences, Once Upon a Time and The Path remind me of one another: they both involve the player encountering several things (the cards they are dealt in Once Upon a Time; the objects, the girls' reactions to them and so on in The Path) and using these elements, with their own imagination as the glue, to piece together a story. In Once Upon a Time this is the game, it is not optional. In The Path this activity is a – technically – optional meta-game but perhaps not optional in how the human brain is "wired" to interpret the sensations relayed to it and perhaps, in a way, the most game-like element of The Path (that is, if one of thinks of it like a German-style tabletop game or traditional arcade game, in which there are numerous strategies by which to earn to the same points, rather than a linear adventure game in which is there is one single correct solution to a puzzle).

That last sentence, if not making much sense when I read it, has, if nothing else, by doing so sparked me on several other theories – but not ones that I've time to describe now that it's 3:00 AM. Mr. Green
Michael
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thanks for the tip! Surprised
Chainsawkitten
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Once Upon a Time is awesome, but seriously, you can just write your own cards. Smile (Can bring some hilarious results.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger