top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  Widescreen & Surround support

-scavv-
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hi there, I've posted a Detailed Report for The Path on the WSGF :
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15818

The WSGF is a community dedicated to widescreen and 'surround' (triple-display) gaming. As you can see from the Report, The Path can be played in a variety of resolutions and aspect ratios with no major problems. The player's Field Of Vision (FOV) will automatically adjust, so that the 3D world will naturally expand on widescreen displays. And that's great !

However there seems to be a minor flaw in the rendering. Everything is a bit 'squashed' in widescreen, so the girls will look thinner in 16:9 resolutions than in 4:3 ! On the contrary, in über-wide aspect ratios the world will stretch a little bit.

So here's a couple questions :

- can this flaw be fixed, so that the whole 3D world will retain its proper aspect, however wide/narrow the display resolution may be ? (no more 'thin'/'fat' girls depending on the display)

- was the game developed for 16:9 ? Did 16:9 serve as the baseline for other aspect ratios or did you originally develop The Path for 4:3 ?
Ricardo
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I understand that surrond means to play with 3 screens, isnt? It should be amazing, not just for this title, but for any 3D game! Do you have 3 screens? I will try it some day in the future, when I win the lottery or something...
Michael
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
The game's engine, Quest3D, assumes a 4:3 aspect ratio. We tweaked the camera so that it could handle any aspect ratio (especially wider ones). But this tweak was based on trial and error, not mathematics. That's probably why it isn't exact.

Thanks for the report, though. We'll have another look at it. Perhaps we can improve things.
-scavv-
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. Your 'cam tweak' is pretty good really. I'll gladly update my report if you ever find a better solution !

Ricardo, yep - I play on 3x 1680x1050 monitors using Matrox TripleHead2Go. No lottery involved, just the bad habit of throwing as much of my hard-earned money as possible in games & PC parts... Playing over three screens is amazing indeed, be it for racing games, shooters, strategy - or unique indie gems.