top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  Stuck on loading screen + sound stops

airmaus
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The game was playing well for me until I got to grandma's house. A loading screen came on while some music played, but never moved past that spot. I ended up closing the game via the task manager. When I restarted the game, the girl I was playing as was gone from the selection screen.

The next girl I played as worked fine until I ran into the wolf. She awoke at grandma's house and it was raining, but there was no sound.

System:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ @ 3.2 GHz
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
8 gig RAM
BFG Nvidia 285 GTX

I'm running the game through Steam, just in case that makes a difference.

The game is really wonderful, which makes these bugs all the more frustrating. They ruin the atmosphere!
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
I had a similar problem when I took Ginger to Grandma's house after encountering the wolf. I got inside and briefly saw the first room before the creepy music and darkening of screen/scribbles on the screen started, however clicking did not clear the screen or move me forward. I tried lots of keys. It ended up with just music and the screen flashing between black and white. I could access the menu, though. When I reloaded my game, Ginger was already dead, so I didn't retry immediately.

However I have successfully been thru Grandma's house two previous times, with Carmen and Robin, one of them encountering the wolf and one not. I'm also running it through Steam.

This is a beautiful game, I am really enjoying it. I've kept you guys on my radar ever since I read about "8" several years ago. Thank you for having not only the vision, but the courage and determination to make such an innovative experience. My cat likes this game too. I think some of the sound effects sound like little animals to him. He'll be sleeping in his bed next to the computer, start awake when he hears certain sounds, and examine the computer area to find them.
airmaus
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
I ran into another problem. I was playing as Ginger and eventually ran into an event which caused the screen to fade to black. The game got stuck at that point. An error appeared which read "Error streaming texture!"-- however the only way I could view the error was by switching to the desktop and using the window preview.

My system dual-boots with XP, so I tried loading The Path on my Steam install there. It worked until I found a spot in the forest where it seems to load new data, and then the game froze. This locked my system up completely- I had to do a hard reset.

I really like this game, but there are just too many game stopping bugs in it at the moment for me to want to invest more time in it. I'd rather play it when it works properly because it's hard to become immersed when you're constantly on the lookout for game freezes.
Michael
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
First, make sure you have the latest videocard drivers.

Second, this sounds oddly like a memory problem. The Path uses your RAM intensively. It can use over 1 GB of RAM at times. So make sure the application has access to such amounts of RAM and that they are available.

A trick to reduce the amount of RAM used is to turn the sound off in Act 1 (the apartment where you choose a girl), and then turn it back on in Act 2 (the forest) after the credits. That way the music will not be preloaded and only load gradually as tracks are needed. This may cause slight freezes once in a while, though.

And for safety, close and restart the game after each chapter, so that the RAM gets wiped clean every time you start a new chapter.

Also, make sure you have sufficient free space on your hard disk and that it is defragmented.
airmaus
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I tried playing the game and switching to the Task Manager to monitor the memory usage. When I began the game, I had around 7 GB free. While playing, the cached memory went up to around 3 GB. After going through some events in the forest, the cached amount went to around 6.9 GB.

Under Processes, I noticed that upon loading The Path, PathViewer.exe has memory (private working set) of 219.732 K. After getting past Act 1 that number shoots up to 714,000 K.

My hard drive is defragged with 204 GB free. My video card driver is version 182.08, dated March 3.
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The memory reported under Processes sounds correct.

Please let us know if you find out anything else.
airmaus
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not sure what else to do.
Michael
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Since we don't experience the problem on our own computers, the only thing you can do is supply us with as much information as possible. So, play the game and check if things go consistently wrong after the same event. Try and find a pattern. This may give us hints as to what might be causing the problem.
airmaus
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, it mostly seems to be working. The only thing I changed seems pretty random and unrelated, but here goes: I have both a wireless PS/2 keyboard and mouse and a USB keyboard and mouse connected to my computer. I disconnected the wireless set, and the next time I played The Path, I was able to play completely through as one girl without a problem. It seems completely unrelated to me, but things definitely improved....

However, I am still having the same problem with Ginger, and am able to recreate it every time.

----SPOILER ALERT-----

After I reach the scarecrow field and Ginger plays with the girl there, the screen fades out. Ginger wakes up outside grandma's house and it is raining, but there is no sound like there is for other girls. I go up to the house and have her enter. At this point a loading screen appears, and the music from the scarecrow field plays again. The loading animation and music continue indefinitely.
Michael
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
A dual keyboard and mouse might create extra input that the game cannot process. So removing the second keyboard could indeed fix problems.

Your second problem may be caused by lack of memory. Did this happen after a long play session, perhaps?