top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  Creators thoughts

Halowii
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
So, while everybody can just thinks in the game story, making their own conclussions and theories and feelingl a concrete way by themselves playing the path, I think this is neccesary that the creators could tell us hints about what they actually wanted to tell. Is it a story about a single girl in his last momments (grandma) thinking about all the bad turns she did in life (all the time she "went out of the path") ? Are there girls being killed? Are deaths real or iconical?

I don't pretend creators to explain all the script, but leading us to understand the real thing with some clues. I know it don't have to be a sentence word of the only and one true. Everyone have their own interprettation. But I'd love to know the words of the creators about their own masterpiece.

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Spain so english isn't my first language)
Lewis[Resolution]
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but I don't think Tale of Tales had a particular story to tell. The Path is an exercise in interpretation. It's intentionally abstract. The "right answer" is whatever you make of it.
arahnea
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they didn't design it with a specific story in mind , but still thet must have a personal of their own, I assume
Michael
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
This ambiguity and lack of resolution is exactly why we love the interactive medium so much. And why we think it is the medium of the new generation, the new century. It offers a way of trying to come to terms with the fact that truth does not exist anymore, that reality itself has been obscured by all the images we make of it, etc. Personally I follow the guidance of 19th century writer Alfred Jarry in this context. He invented 'Pataphysics, the science that "transcends metaphysics as metaphysics transcends physics". In short, it is a view of reality that simply accepts that everything that can be imagined is true. And more importantly, perhaps, that it is true simultaneously. So, something can be both black and white at the same time. I think interactive media offer us a way of creating artworks that embrace this ambiguity.

So, even more important than the fact that every person's interpretation of The Path is perfectly valid, is the fact that this interpretation can be different every time you play, or even change after you stop playing. For me, it's more about the potential of meaning, than about a single conclusion. I think this comes from my dissatisfaction with language as a tool to describe reality. A painting or a piece of music have always felt more "true" to me than a page from the encyclopedia, or even a philosopher's theory.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow; coincidentally, this topic (that language is insufficient in describing reality and that therefore interpretations are always going to be too simplistic) is actually currently being discussed on TIGSource. Here's something I wrote about it there:

Quote:
If something could have been just as easily conveyed through a written statement as through art, why would it need art at all? Art is often for stuff that *can't* be conveyed through other means as efficiently or as easily, if at all. Not everything that can be sung can be spoken, and vice versa. [...]

I think the reason that incompatibility exists, as an aside, is that language is often simplistic and overly abstract, and reality is far more complex than language can deal with. So just because the same thing can be explained / interpreted in dozens of ways linguistically doesn't mean it's subjective, it just means that different people attempt to simplify it in different ways, because it's too complex for them to deal with as a whole, so they pick and choose specific parts of it, simplify those parts, construct a theory about those parts, and we call it an interpretation. But interpretations are often laughably simple compared to how complex the thing being interpreted is, which is often beyond the powers of language or even the human mind. In contrast to language, art deals with reality through directly portraying something, in a "pointing" fashion. So it can convey a bit more complexity than language can, although it too has its limits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xiira
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
What confuses me is the girls' livejournals. If some of us interpret all the girls representing one, does that mean either

a) She has multiple personality disorder

or

b) She's pretending/pretended to be different people Laughing

Because each journal comments on another sister.
Emriss
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Xiira wrote:
What confuses me is the girls' livejournals. If some of us interpret all the girls representing one, does that mean either

a) She has multiple personality disorder

or

b) She's pretending/pretended to be different people Laughing

Because each journal comments on another sister.

Michael wrote:
In short, it is a view of reality that simply accepts that everything that can be imagined is true. And more importantly, perhaps, that it is true simultaneously.

^ This. They're sisters, strangers, and one in the same. They wander through a forest, a dream, and life. It's like...nothing anyone could come up with is really true, so that makes it so everything is.

Did that come out as anything more than babble? Confused
Halowii
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yep Xiira, I was just thinking 'but it. In their journals they speak as different girls, so this could take away the theory of being the same people in different aged. But since administrator tell us about not being a certain true story, all speculations comes to an end. What I was trying to tell in the first post is that everyone can make their own theories, that them all will be as true as the creators. BUT what I didn't know is that creators didn't have a own one. That makes me feel a little sad, `cause I love games who makes you think because the resolution is not that simple as "Good beats bad" BUT I really want to come to a conclussion. I don't want to think that creator put a tree here and there, a fence and a pair of beers without an actual intention, just to twist all the gamers minds and getting them thinking and thinking about something that don't really exists.

Or maybe I'm not into Patphysics.
Anahkiasen
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
No I agree with you, I like to think about my own story but one day or another it would be great to have a blog entry about what The Path was really about. Not to put it as the official version to refer to, but just to see what was the creator's point of view of their own game.
Emriss
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm kinda glad that atleast one of the creators (and presumably the rest) have nothing to say regarding to what exactly all this is supposed to represent. It would be harder to let yourself take something unique from the experience if you knew they intended to convey something very specific. Not to mention these forums would be relatively dead without nearly as much to speculate about.
Halowii
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Anahkiasen just explain it the way I wanted. I'm not english speaker and It's hard to me to explain what I want, Specially in such a deep and especulative forum lie that. But what Anahkiasen says is the idea, loving to think 'bout the game, theorys, the feeling, etc, but the point of view of the creator would be FANTASTIC. A point of wiev additional, as valid as everyone's.