<  Drama Princess  ~  Drama Princess symposium

Michael
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
23 May, Brussels: Drama Princess symposium
Michael
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
There's a transcript of the symposium in the Development Journal.
Matzerath
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This is all very interesting! I have found with my limited game-making and Flash experimentation that there's nothing quite like a random algorithm combined with some basic rules to create the illusion of autonomous behavior. It's jarring when a game-character seems to be taking a personal initiative towards something, particularly if it hasn't before. I was very interested in how this was implemented in 'The Path', and am still checking it out. It might not be quite as strong as I was hoping, though I have noticed it.
Consider this possibility with Ruby, for instance: When she gets near her wolf, the natural inclination of the player is to get her the hell out of there, though eventually you have to go along with things to advance the game. Wouldn't it have been interesting if, when you try to remove her initially from what is at best an uncomfortable situation, she, as a true teenager would, stubbornly fights against your control and then stamps back to sit with her wolf out of sheer spite?
Chikazz
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
You do realize you're replying to a three year old post?

*edit* Although, I agree with you, the idea of an autonomous main character in a game is fabulous, which is why I am praying 8 will be revived if The Path does well enough.
Matzerath
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Oops! I think we reactivated it!
Revived it?
Reanimated it?
Chikazz
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
Oh dear... Maybe someone should go get Michael and ask him to update the Drama Princess Blog!

He wrote in it in Feb, but otherwise he rarely does anymore, because he was so busy with The Path, which is a shame. I loved reading it. And I loved reading the 8 forum too, but it was mostly dead when I started lurking a few years back.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
Well, just because something is inactive doesn't mean it's dead -- sometimes things just sleep. I have projects that I haven't touched in 10 years or so, but I don't consider them dead, just waiting for me to work on them again.

Anyway, from what I remember, Drama Princess was sort of like Chris Crawford's interactive storytelling idea (both are about generating dramatic behavior), except it relies more on randomness whereas Crawford's relies more on some arcane system that takes ages to learn and may or may not work out any better than randomness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Emriss
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Matzerath wrote:
Oops! I think we reactivated it!
Revived it?
Reanimated it?

I believe the term is necro'd Razz

I personally enjoyed Drama Princess in The Path, though I was also hoping it would be a bit stronger, with more variety and spontinaeity (sp?). And while it would be fun to make a character that fought against you if you did something he/she/it didn't like, that might not be feasable unless it was a well advertised premise, if only because it would make new players give up out of sheer frustration and confusion.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
One thing I thought would be interesting would be a chase scene, like a wolf running after you and you having to run (but eventually being caught).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
We completely ruined Drama Princess in The Path. Simply because we had too many pre-defined narrative demands and too many expectations/requirements in terms of character behaviour. Basically too much structure for Drama Princess too really bloom.

That being sid, the system is still active underneath all the clamps and chains we put on it. Maybe we should release a mod or something that sets Drama Princess free. Just to see what happens if the characters are allowed to make up their own mind all the time. Smile
Matzerath
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
Yes!
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
That's an awesome plan.
Chikazz
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
I also want a mod like that very badly O.o
Sshado
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Bump.

A mod or small world, such a house, to show off Drama Princess would make my day. Smile
Dreamcube017
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Bump again. I would LOVE that. That'd be so awesome.