top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  First Experience

squeegie
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to tell about my first experience with The Path. Smile

SPOILERS
I played it just a few minutes ago with my brother by my side, I was kinda' scared about it. I told him to pick a girl for me, and he picked Robin. At the start of the game, me and him joked around to lighten the air, cause' it was kinda' creepy. I quickly ran into the forest part. Going deeper into the forest, I heard a squeaking noise. It freaked me out a bit. We discovered a playground, and a teddy bear with two heads on the ground. I guess it was Robin's because she took it. We then saw a girl in white run across the background, and I took chase. But I lost her, and stood alone. Then we started to hear what sounded like growling. This freaked me out even more, and I ran. Later on, I found a stage with a piano (I think it was a piano) on it. Nothing really happened so we kept on going. Later on, the forest seemed to be getting darker and the sounds more malicious. Thankfully, we found the girl in white and she took us back to the path. I really like the girl in whites character. I was getting really creeped out, but she calmed me down. Back on the path, I saw just a little bit away Grandmonther's house. I was relived and quickly ran to the house. Robin seemed very happy, skipping up to the house. Nothing inside the house was to creepy, just a tiny bit eerie. She went upstairs and found her grandmother in bed. Robin then climbs into the bed and sits beside her grandmother. I didn't encounter a wolf, and I'm glad. Robin is just so innocent and I couldn't do that to her.
Lewis[Resolution]
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I really like that people are opting out of the wolf encounters, even if they did explore the forest first. People seem to be getting angry that, supposedly, you "have to kill your little girl to fully experience the game." Here is excellent proof that you don't - and excellent proof of how affecting these characters can be. As Tom Chick said over at Fidgit: "few games manage to convey a memorable character. The Path manages at least six."
Emriss
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. Those who say you have to kill off your character are still trying to think of this as goal-oriented. The beauty is that the goal is whatever you set for yourself. Ex: After a few runs with various Girls, I decided, "Ok, just for the hell of it, I'ma run straight along the path." I did so, and that was that. Screw you, failing marks.

Ya know, I think it would've been a bit better if ToT had just steered clear of that last line on the end screen that gives you a grade. It's nice to have the other stuff for informations' sake, but the marks just seem to nudge it back in the direction of convention.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
I thought that scorecard thing was done as a kind of in-joke (a nod to other games). A lot of reviews are saying it's incongruent with the rest of the game, but maybe that incongruence is the point of including it, to get people to see that sort of stuff as unimportant.

As an analogy, in one of my games, I included exact numbers on how much damage you were doing to the enemies, and left it in as an option, with a notice saying "are numbers really that important?" next to the option. The goal there was to get people thinking about their OCD love for exact numbers in games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
It surprises us that some people take the score seriously. I guess it's irresistible for some to try and achieve something. But, it was indeed added as a kind of ironic comment, a cruel joke. As such it may indeed be incongruent and a sign of a game made in a period of transition. It functions as both a confrontation with the artificiality of the experience and a discouragement or mockery of any attempt to play The Path in a competitive manner. As the medium evolves, in the future, perhaps this kind of meta-commentary will lose its meaning.
EnzoDragon
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I caught the joke.

The rules are: go straight to grandma's house, don't stray off the path
If we DO that we're given a failing rank, which as far as I know is the only rank you can get.

I lol'd. It's like if I told some kid to go fetch me a pail of water I didn't need and hurry back to me within an unnecessary time frame and then yelling at him for not taking the chance to play ball with his friends out in the street when I'd given him an excuse to go out.
Restless
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I’m reading this forums for a couple of weeks now. I think it was time to register:)
I’m not very good in English, but I know it, so feel free to correct me or ask me if you think you misunderstood something.
After playing game through to the epilogue I have some thoughts about what’s happened there in the forest and I wish someone to tell me: may it be true or may not? I think, some part of this theory you, folks, may chew for a thousand times and threw away, but… For me it’s the first impressions.

I think all girls are one. Yes, I know that there are no intended story in this game, but read what I think:

First of us was Robin. Little child, always willing to play. She don’t realize the toys may be broken. And when she did realize, she become somebody else. She broke not a toy, but a living creature. Her “wolf”. And in this point, Robin was no more.

She was Rose now. Dreamy and “care-for-everybody” type of person. Now the word “playing” is changed for “caring” and “keeping safe”. She dreams of saving everybody, and someday she will fully emerge in her dreams. So she found her misty lake and that misty person. It was only her imagination, but for her it was so real. And she… She drowned, but not literally. I think, she drowned in her dreams.

And once more personality shifted. From the dreamy Rose to the friendly Ginger. What Rose dreamt, Ginger believes to be real. All people are friends and so on. Her breaking point comes, when she realizes, that friendship is not only a “running around in flowers” thing. Friendship is a ties, stronger than wire. And when it breaks it hurts.

So, that’s how happy Ginger become cynic goth Ruby. Broken relations. Missing friends. But nobody cares. Why to live? Rust is beautiful and decay is good. And if I’m still alive with no reason to live… Why not to kill myself?
They say cigarettes make you life shorter. And if they were wrong? What will became out of Ruby?

Scarlet will. For me, this girl is the one who drifts with the flow. Life goes on, exactly as she does. If still nobody cares, so why I have to care? Let me just put my mask on and went for a walk.
But somewhere inside, something is burning. Something, she tries to control. But it won’t be for long now. Your passion is music, and music is passion itself. When you play, you are out of control of yourself. And passion overcomes you and makes you a new person.

Carmen. Not much to say. She was here all the way. Transforming, learning. And now she knows more than any other girl. She knows there is a “wolf”. But she throws herself into that “wolf meeting scene” willingly. And as the Girl in White was present there too, for the first time in all six stories, I think that’s the moment, when she appears for the first time.

Girl in white is the childhood. And when Carmen throws it away, it comes to “life” in form of a little girl. I think you have to play this game in order from Carmen to Robin, in order of descending memories. Than the epilogue makes sense: Grandmother at last recalled all the memories and in some way slipped back to her “childhood”.

May this be true?
Lewis[Resolution]
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Everything is the truth. They are not like the others.

(Incredibly geeky brownie points for anyone who gets the reference.)
Viking
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
I think pretty much anything you make of it is true. Smile
The only problem, if it could be seen as a problem, with your list is Scarlet is older than Carmen.
Restless
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything is the truth.

Yes, I know. I'm not trying to make "one and only true theory" of it. Just thinking it could be one:wink:

Quote:
Scarlet is older than Carmen

Oh, I knew! Sad And again I misplaced girls age... (first were Ginger and Rose)
Well, now it makes sense: Ruby finding her place in the world, eager-for-everything Carmen and emptied and broken Scarlet.
Thanks! Smile
Emriss
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Restless wrote:
...first were Ginger and Rose

No, you were right with them. Rose is younger than Ginger. Rose just gives off old-sould vibes, and Ginger is a midget. Razz
Viking
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Emriss wrote:
Rose just gives off old-sould vibes, and Ginger is a midget. Razz

Don't let Ginger hear you say that, I'm sure she'd beat you up. Wink