top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  ginger (SPOILERS)

bonedevil
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
discuss ginger, and how you interpreted her and her story here
naardejood
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I already made a huge post on Ginger elsewhere, but I'll copypasta it here for the Hell of it.

Note:
The images I refer to in my post are from Ginger's version of Grandmother's House:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/PurpleRose1414/wmplayer2009-03-1923-04-29-86.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/PurpleRose1414/wmplayer2009-03-1923-13-48-62.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/PurpleRose1414/wmplayer2009-03-1923-15-09-31.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/PurpleRose1414/wmplayer2009-03-1923-16-10-83.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/PurpleRose1414/wmplayer2009-03-1923-16-42-29.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/PurpleRose1414/wmplayer2009-03-1923-17-43-51.jpg

The post:

I also remember someone mentioning the "death of the independent Ginger" concept somewhere on this forum, and that does make sense to me. What confuses me, though, is the ever-present barbed wire, especially when it comes to that fourth image of Ginger's neck apparently sliced open by said barbed wire.
I have two thoughts on the meaning of her ending at this point. One of them seemed like a bit of a stretch until I saw the second image (the one with the Girl in Red's legs spread open and scribbled images drawn between them) and the white and red beds in Grandmother's House. Oh, and also the fact that Ginger definitely has a "tom boy" air to her and right before fading to black, the Girl in Red pulls her down onto the ground with her. It still seems like a bit of a stretch, but could it possibly be an implied lesbian relationship that didn't quite end well?
The second possibility, which is definitely the one I'm leaning toward, is that the two became good friends but somehow the Girl in Red ended up getting Ginger killed while they were playing. This possibility is interesting because I agree that Ginger seemed like a very lonely person who was doing her best to hide that fact. It would be awesomely ironic for her to death to be a result of finally learning to trust someone. This concept is supported by the red army men under the red bed in Grandmother's House (leading me to believe their style of "play" to be roughhousing), the prominence of barbed wire throughout the ending sequence, the third image where the Girl in Red appears to either be removing an image of Ginger's face that was superimposed on her own or she's attempting to grab ahold of a ghost-image of Ginger as she falls forward toward the wire, the fourth image of the barbed wire superimposed over the back of Ginger's bleeding neck, and the fifth image where Ginger appears to be falling backwards (possibly onto some unseen wire).

Though I think the second possibility is the more plausible one, I think the first is better. If the first one is what was intended, then many, many kudos to ToT for including something that controversial.
Screw it, that's the one I'm going with. Lesbian relationship gone bad for the win. Laughing
Xiira
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought the other girl represented a bully, but when I saw Ginger laying there next to her I almost immediately came to the lesbian relationship conclusion so I agree there. Perhaps it ended badly, or maybe her parents did not approve when they found out, leaving her to become suicidal/sending her to self-harm (the barbed wire). But then again the barbed wire could be metaphor for something else - like the pain she felt because she's "different".

I like the interpretation that Ginger's friend led her to her death though. If not lesbian (and even if they are), maybe she was daring Ginger to go into some person's garden and pull a prank (making a crop circle), and in order to do that she had to get past a barbed wire fence. So her wolf = foolishness? Or if the former story is taken into consideration, trying to deny who you really are based on what someone else says. I dunno. I think the latter story makes more sense.

edit - And based on what someone else mentioned in the 'Girl in White' thread, it also makes sense that the girl in red could be Ginger's version of reason. Ginger struck me as a kind of rebel, so it's like she became friends with that side and it got her into trouble, so again the moral would be "don't be foolish". Or something. Razz
Jeroen Stout
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I too veer towards the lesbian undercurrent... to me it seemed Ginger wanted nothing more than another friend to cause mischief with, seeing as she hints as being lonely, but then when she finds this friend and hangs out with her she suddenly gets sucked into the adult world of romantics and love and the way the world looks at them.

I like the way the young three girls, Ginger, Rose and Robin, get involved in ways they didn't expect; they lose their innocence (which is what the wolf stands for in my mind) without doing anything they know will lead them to that path, whereas Ruby, Carmen and Scarlet all 'give in' or even tempt fate.

Ginger just wanted a friend with whom she could climb tries and break into lodges, a friend which would be harder to find for a girl her age... her 'wolf room' and music is more happy than the others, too, which too causes me to go for the romance.
rinku
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I actually just interpreted it as the scarecrow in that field secretly being a monster that killed them both. It's a pretty scary scarecrow. But the interpretations in this thread seem to make more sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
arahnea
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
On one of the other topics, someone suggested that perhaps Gingers wolf represented her getting her first period. I really feel like going along with that thought. It also explains my experience while encountering her wolf: someone that used to be reliable to her, now turns against her. she was the only girl with whom I felt i was being forced in the wolf encounter.
I entered the field and all of a sudden found myself scarred and back on the path while with Carmen ,for example , it felt more like a choice she made, to go to her wolf even with all the signs something bad was coming her way. She still sat on the bench waiting for things to come.

Back to Ginger, my favorite Redgirl, in the other tread I found a screenie of Ginger with scribbles between her legs which makes me even more convinced that Ginger was forced to leave her childlike comfortzone and enter the adult world. Ginger also seemed to me too young for her age, even Rose appeared more mature and the gap between Ginger en Ruby is the biggest of all sisters. Her chapter ending with a transistion to adulthood makes perfect sense to me
Matzerath
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
someone suggested that perhaps Gingers wolf represented her getting her first period.

I think that's a brilliant interpretation, to the point where I kick myself for not having put that together before. It's perfect symbolism. Even if it's not 'right' (though apparently there is no 'right' of course) it's how I'm going to interpret it. Who was it who came up with this?
(I love things that are open to this sort of cool speculation. How many of you embraced theories about Donnie Darko that ended up differing with the director's own explanation -- an explanation that ultimately seemed a bit of a letdown?)
Matzerath
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
Not to mention that the creators are fans of the movie 'Ginger Snaps', which in fact uses lycanthropy as a metaphor for puberty!
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
One thing I was thinking of: although a lot of the time things are open to interpretation, I kind of feel as if I don't need an interpretation. Interpretations sometimes even distract from the experience, since you're thinking of a theory and what fits into it and what doesn't, instead of just fully experiencing it. Or another way to put it is that perhaps it's meant to make unconscious sense but not conceptual/cognitive sense, and trying to deal with it at the conscious level and thinking it through like an analytical puzzle might not be the best approach. Better to just focus on what the scarecrow looks like and the view of the flowers in the field as she ran around in a circle, rather than form a theory about, say, why there are telephone poles randomly placed in the forest like that. It's most likely they just put the telephone poles (for instance) in because it felt like a good idea at the time and looked nice. Similarly, maybe they just made a wolf another girl who runs around with her because it felt like the right thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Emriss
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
Matzerath wrote:
Quote:
someone suggested that perhaps Gingers wolf represented her getting her first period.

....Who was it who came up with this?...

I did (at least I was the first to post it Wink ), but I must admit I'm beginning to lean toward the loss of child-ness due to lesbian relationship theory after reading all the briliant speculation on that end about her being drawn into that more adult world. Similar concept, but different catalyst and details.
Halowii
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Maybe U have reason Rinku, but i WANT to believe that there is something more in the creators mind to just placing cool thing in a forest. Another thing is that I think in pubberty as a barbed wire, a lady in red that exploses in butterflyes and some other stuff and put it letting it to free interpretation, as much as I could think in it as a gigant dinosaur with a lace in the forehead. Maybe it has a very explicit mean in creator minds. And surely it's not as easy to interpretate as I'd like.
Morrigan
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
My best guess is that she tried to break into something and something went wrong when going by the items.
Crawl under the fence, break into the shed and climbing the dead tree.

My interpretation is that the girl in red dared her to break into somewhere, ginger tried to climb over the fence and got cought with her neck.

The thing that puzzles me is when i reached grandmothers house without meeting the wolf but with all 3 items it said: You know what you have done. Do these messages have any meaning?
Xiira
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
rinku wrote:
One thing I was thinking of: although a lot of the time things are open to interpretation, I kind of feel as if I don't need an interpretation. Interpretations sometimes even distract from the experience, since you're thinking of a theory and what fits into it and what doesn't, instead of just fully experiencing it. *snip*

Depends on the person of of course, but I personally love games like this that can be interpreted in different ways instead of face value. Like Scratches for example - you can say that the spooky goings-on is supernatural, or that what your character is experiencing has completely rational explanations.

I do like the idea that what Ginger was experiencing was actually her period. That could be why the girl was dressed in red and why she was taking Ginger by surprise. Razz It's like Ginger was going into the garden to play a prank and BAM, womanhood shows up. The barbed wire could represent the cramps and pain she felt, haha.
Anahkiasen
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
My vision of things is a little more « concrete » but meh, still worth it.
The way I see it, the barbed wire is a clear reference to that. When we come across it, Ginger says that she's so small noone can catch her. So my guess is, she was playing with her only friend, the little girl in red and somewhat during a chase game Ginger tried to outrun her by going on the other side of the fence and ended up falling, the head stuck in the barbed wire.

So it's basically the game ending bad theory, but I just think it matches well the death pictures of Ginger with the throat sliced open and the picture where she seems to fall.

I have no explanation for the opened legs picture. It is indeed true that this could all be a metaphor for periods and it would match all the universe built around Ginger. Per example the picture of her on the website where we can read « Who wants to grow up anyway ? » or something like that.
Viking
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The whole trying to crawl under small spaces could be her trying to stay as a small child and not wanting to grow up. Same with climbing the tree as this is 'childish'.
I'll need to play through her some more as she was the first one I played and I can't recall many of her quotes.