top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  Negativity

Xiira
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The first time I read about other players interpreting the girls' stories as being raped the first thing I thought was, "Wow, people have sick minds..." And after playing through all but two girls, I still stand by that. Only one character stands out as rape being a possibility, but other than that, that conclusion seems way out there to me. Like Naardejood, I guess I could understand where some people might come to that conclusion, but like Morrigain, I agree that if you have no history or experience with abuse and all you can come up with is rape, that really says a lot about your imagination. So it could go both ways.
Emriss
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed a lot of people who are anti-'one-giant-rape-metaphor' have said how people automatically seeing rape have sick minds or something along those lines. As much as I'm annoyed with the haters for jumping to such a conclusion with little or no effort to dig deeper, I can understand how they came to that conclusion.

Part of the premise of The Path is based on LRRH. Originally a peice of folklore, the interpretation of many of the earliest versions was to beware of 'wolves', i.e seductive men, who would sexually take advantage of young girls. Yes, there were/are variations that change the perceived meaning, but that's the generally accepted premise.

With that on your mind as you begin to play...well, that's what I would've seen too, at first, had I not been following the game, though I'm fairly certain I'm not the type of person to automatically project something sick onto every surface.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that rape-focused review is kind of terrible, and reads more like a forum flame than a review. Journalists should really have more responsibility and professionalism. Unfortunately it's become a meme about the game now. But who knows, it's hard to predict such complex processes, maybe this would actually be good for the game's long-term popularity to be controversial in this way. But maybe not.

It's kind of trivial to refute though. When I first heard the theory I thought it might be possible, since I had only finished one of the chapters. But after playing the game some more I realized it's not true at all and it's *really* a stretch to get that interpretation out of it. I think what happened is that guy had the original story in his head, since he said he wrote a thesis about it, and couldn't help but interpret the game in that way; everything we do and know affects how we interpret things.

The people who read that review and started hating on the game and warning people away from it because it supposedly is a rape sim or appeals only to pedophiles are antisocial imbeciles, though, and should be met either with mockery or with ignoring them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PenMasterRule
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
All the rape talk got me wondering the same thing, but I followed this game like I followed the tale of 'Little Red Riding Hood'. I have put a lot of study into the tale so I came into this game expecting quite a few things. I've completed two girl's missions and to be honest I didn't feel like they were raped. And I'm actually starting to figure a few things out myself. Like the trip through grandmothers house has made me think that....

Spoilers ahead....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
That these girls are actually dead and these 'wolves' and 'objects' we interact with and find are telling a story about how these girls really did die. Like the burnt out old car. I saw that thing smoking while going through grandmothers house. My guess is the girl died in that car.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
To balance out the negativity, I found reviews by average game-players rather than games journalists to be the most fun reviews. Here's one I liked, felt very genuine:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/thepath/player_review.html?id=650775
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Halowii
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
I think people should get a little more inside the game before marking it as a "raping game", but I consider that this is as much stupid as saying that the people who thinks that there is a raping theme here have a sick minds, as I read here before. Ok, hold on, Are U critizing people who talks without knowing... talking 'bout people, without knowing them?? I've actually played the game for a bunch of hours, I was tracking it since a year ago or so, I was F5 the website till it to be being ablo to download the first day and I played as all the girls - Scarlet. I sincerelly LOVE the game, his concept and specially the art. And I DO THINK that there is a raping theme here. Maybe It doesn't concern all the girls. Maybe It doesn't concern anyone at all, but what I feel, what I watch in some reds while walking to the gmhouse makes me feel like they were actully hurt and raped. And U can't say I have a sick mind, 'cause U have no idea of what programmers themed since they didn't tell anything at all but "It contains allusions to sexual references and violent themes". They preffer to left this to your own mind, so U can think wathever U want 'bout the game that this is perfectly valid. U think this is metaphoric or iconic about ladies growth? Ok. U think this is a story about raping. Ok. The day the creators posted here saying "No lady is raped in the game" We all know this isn't happening in the Path. Meanwhile, everybody can think wathever, non concerning they to be sick minded.

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm actually from Spain so english is not my first language)
Matzerath
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
It is what you make of it!
It was only released two days ago and already there's massive speculation. I imagine that was the intent. Make of it what you will. The human mind is designed to make connections, even when the real connections are vague, or even nonexistent. It's kinda the fun of being a human. I've already formed theories about the game, but that doesn't invalidate anyone else's impressions, or validate my own.
rinku
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think people who interpret that way have sick minds (or even that there's anything wrong with having a sick mind), but I do think it's a stretch for that reviewer to call it "obvious".

But certainly, bad things do happen to the girls. They do seem to be killed, and the "score" screen rewards you for getting them killed. But there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, it's an interesting experience. Death highlights life, sometimes you don't understand how precious a life is until you see it taken away or even interactively get them into a situation where it is taken away. It certainly can be understood as a positive, optimistic game too.
Emriss
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
rinku wrote:
Death highlights life, sometimes you don't understand how precious a life is until you see it taken away or even interactively get them into a situation where it is taken away. It certainly can be understood as a positive, optimistic game too.

Indeed. Michael once said something along the lines of (can't find the exact quote) "It's about finding beauty in a life that's about to end."

If there was no darkness, we wouldn't notice -nor have a need to define- light. It's not as beautiful if you see all of the sun and none of the shadow, all of the blue sky and none of the clouds. And even the darkest stormclouds have their own kind of ominous beauty and appeal...

Hehe, look at me and my excessive metaphor use. Time for bed; all this obsessing of mine over The Path is clearly infecting my brain! Laughing
Morrigan
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Some of the themes can strike a little bit too close to home for some people and this offends them.
Also due to the abstract nature of the game people can interpret it in a way it offends them.
Others may think it sucks from a technical point of view. and dont think its worth it to look past the flaws.

It boils down to that people have different tastes. all that matters is that you enjoyed the game...

Though the game does evoke some powerful reactions. some are disgusted some think its awesome. kinda reminds me of the reactions to modern art in the past.
Its a sign the gaming medium is maturing as an art form. Smile
redmech78
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I'd never read anything ahead of playing this game that mentioned rape, and having played it I don't think that rape was ever alluded to.

*SPOILERS*

To my mind, the one even remotely "sexual" ending was Carmen's, and I did not perceive it as rape. It was obvious all throughout her story that she was intent finding a man, from making comments about how she'd like to bathe while a big strong woodsman watched, to describing a bath having "a little soap, and a lot of warm and wet. Never alone again."

As with all of the other sisters, Carmen's ending found her getting exactly what she was craving... except that the woodsman was probably a psycho and hacked her to bits afterward with his axe.

None of the other sisters' endings struck me the least bit sexual: Robin pissed off a werewolf. Ruby got involved with the wrong element and likely died in a car crash. Ginger ended up playing a little too roughly with a girl and probably ran into a barbed wire fence while playing tag or something. Rose should've been more aware of the generally unpleasant nature of evil air spirits, especially when they appear to be covered in blood. Scarlet (I think) found herself victim to a witch's claws... I'm still not clear on this one yet.

**END SPOILERS**

I think that this game does a pretty good job of reflecting what might be in the player's head and heart; I'd hate to think that forcible rape is at the forefront of so many people's minds.
Nadir
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Nothing is what it seems to be. Except nothing." - Ruby
Terabetha
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I even have a problem classifying Carmen's end as rape, because to me she was the one being forward...granted her wolf is obviously not a very nice guy, but I just can't see Carmen as the sexual victim. She might have gotten in over her head, but she still got herself into it. Or perhaps I'm just playing devils advocate *shrug*.

As for the other girls, I think that the game is being played by a sexually charged audience, be it because they are at an age of sexual discover or even messages in other media, but I still think that the players who are finding lots of hidden messages of sex and rape are bringing it with them into the game.

Still, the real enjoyment of the game comes once you start to wrap your mind around it...I think it's so cool that everyone can play the same game and come to entirely different conclusions. The mark of a true work of art!
Xastabus
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
For many years I've been completely put off by the so called critics and reviewers. Movies, games, music, whatever, it doesn't matter. They are paid to write objectively on topics that are mostly subjective. They typically talk about the technical aspects, glaze over the surface of the content, and paint the entire production with a seemingly arbitrary score. This process is obviously engineered to extract an opinion of the material and convey it to potential customers without spoiling the actual content. It's a very delicate procedure to tell people why you do or do not like something without telling them all the details. Unfortunately, I think the only way this really works is when the reviewer and reader share common interests. That's why I don't listen to mainstream critics and reviewers any more, they and I have nothing in common.

I think the problem here is complicated by the fact that The Path almost completely defies this process of review. So far, nearly every review, post, and blog I've read regarding The Path interprets the content differently. Having played through all chapters and epilogue, I now hold my own opinion which pretty much disagrees with everything I've read. I think that's the point.

No one else can really tell me what forms of entertainment I will or will not enjoy. I may be able to piece together a useful impression by looking at the reactions of others, but there's nothing quite like experiencing something first hand. That's the great failing of critics and reviewers. Sadly it seems that many blindly follow those opinions without delving into the subject matter for themselves.

As the anti-drug campaigns of the 80s proclaimed, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." They were more right than they realized, I wish more people would think for themselves.