top_image

<  3D Aesthetics  ~  Stylisation in character design and modelling

shadedeer
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Jan 2008 Posts: 44 Location: middle o' nowhere, Ohio
as an artist, to me, style and an artistic approach come before anything else in game design. if a game plays well, but looks poor, i immediately lose interested. there is, of course, a flip side of the coin. if a game looks photo realistic, but has poor game-play, i also loose interest.

however, i've come upon a seeming brick-wall for the development of my game.

"how stylized is TOO stylized"?

as a game designed by an artist, i am going to expect from myself and my team a near-obsessive-compulsive attention to style and detail. however, i don't want the little details such as textures, bump-maps, and color-blending to get so important the focus of the game is lost. and that focus is - let's have fun.

and so i find myself saying that highly-stylized graphics would be appropriate for my game. if the goal is to have fun above all else, then we should make the characters LOOK fun. yet i can't bring myself to make the characters "cartoony" (or TOO stylized), or else the immersion of the game would also be lost, as well.

quite a conundrum, don't you think?

well, maybe i should let my pencil and paper decide for me. on to the drawing board, once again!
Ymedron
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
When I was looking at the pictures Michael presented, I thought to myself why didn't he include any pictures from TeamFortress 2?
It is stylished and humorous. Not maybe for a too serious story but pretty well for a "war" game.

http://www.invision-gaming.co.uk/js/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/images/games/team_fortress_2.jpg
It is interesting how they have so expressive faces, when the gameplay concentrates on shooting others. Smile
Vrav
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Le Lapin wrote:
You might not after you've read her laying into Meomi. Confused

Personally, that makes me respect Tarkheki more.

Yay for TF2. There art and character design is superb. If you're interested, you can check out the slides from their GDC presentation, "Stylization With a Purpose: The Illustrative World of Team Fortress 2," here.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications.html
axcho
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Vrav wrote:
Yay for TF2. There art and character design is superb. If you're interested, you can check out the slides from their GDC presentation, "Stylization With a Purpose: The Illustrative World of Team Fortress 2," here.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications.html
Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized how good that game looked. Smile

Here's a cool game with some really nice stylization: Gravity Bone.

It's a free download. And it's short. I'd encourage you all to try it out. Smile